RIP Ken Russell

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
TheDenizen
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

RIP Ken Russell

Post by TheDenizen »

Just read that Ken Russell passed away last week.

Anyone who enjoys a good nunsploitation flick needs to check out his film "The Devils" asap. Altered States and Tommy are also really enjoyable works he directed.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: RIP Ken Russell

Post by ShogunRua »

TheDenizen wrote:Just read that Ken Russell passed away last week.

Anyone who enjoys a good nunsploitation flick needs to check out his film "The Devils" asap. Altered States and Tommy are also really enjoyable works he directed.

Man, that's a damn shame! Ken Russell had a great, prolific career directing a ton of quality films, although it's funny that out of everything he did, TheDenizen focuses on the nunsploitation. ;)

I was actually thinking of re-watching Tommy too, especially since it I saw as a kid, but it seems even more dazzling and cool watching it now.

Along with the death of Peter Yates early this year, it's been a bad year for a lot of terrific old-school British directors.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

ShogunRua wrote:although it's funny that out of everything he did, TheDenizen focuses on the nunsploitation. ;)

lol, you go with what you know, brother.

I also recently watched Savage Messiah, a lesser known flick but one which Russell always claimed was his favorite of the films he directed....kinda artsy but very solid and visually enjoyable. Recommended if you dig pre-WW1 French sculpture. :ugeek:

by Devol
0 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

RIP.

gotta admit I wasn't his biggest fan, but I have good memories of "Women in Love", especially Alan Bates's explanation, over lunch, of the fig in comparison to a certain part of a woman's anatomy, and Glenda Jackson's intimidating dance to scare away a herd of cows (an absolutely iconic bit to me - an absurdist masterpiece), but the naked Bates/Reed wrestling in front of the firplace coulda ended up on the cutting room floor.
had a tough time with Listzomania.
I think I'll stop here :)
EDIT: I think I've just come across my favourite film genre title:

nunsploitation

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

dude, there's a collection: http://www.criticker.com/?fl&filter=e4019 :)

by Devol
0 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

TheDenizen wrote:dude, there's a collection: http://www.criticker.com/?fl&filter=e4019 :)

huh

I'm on it!

(as fists rub my blurry eyes to a whole new world)

School of the Holy Beast looks promising - at least your review seems to...augur...such potential. (cool! I got to use "augur"!)

edkrak
132 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

by Devol wrote:
School of the Holy Beast looks promising - at least your review seems to...augur...such potential. (cool! I got to use "augur"!)

I need to rewatch this one day. I saw it years ago back when I was still somehow closeminded when it comes to good old nun rapefests. :lol: