Which directors are most favoured by Criticker users?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Pickpocket
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Which directors are most favoured by Criticker users?

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua wrote:
stuie299 wrote:I'm surprised Sidney Lumet isn't on that list. Hes probably in my top 3 all time favorite directors.

He is my favorite director of all time, period. I have always been confused why he doesn't come up in these lists more often, too.

Probably because he doesn't have a distinctive style, he just makes great films

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:
stuie299 wrote:I'm surprised Sidney Lumet isn't on that list. Hes probably in my top 3 all time favorite directors.

He is my favorite director of all time, period. I have always been confused why he doesn't come up in these lists more often, too.

Probably because he doesn't have a distinctive style, he just makes great films

I would argue Lumet has one of the most distinctive styles of any director I have seen. All his films are centered around dialogue. There are no special effects, no "artsy" shots, and most of the time, no "action" scenes. It's just a bunch of characters talking.

And yet, it's riveting and amazing.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua wrote:
I would argue Lumet has one of the most distinctive styles of any director I have seen. All his films are centered around dialogue. There are no special effects, no "artsy" shots, and most of the time, no "action" scenes. It's just a bunch of characters talking.

And yet, it's riveting and amazing.

I was referring to the way his films look. A lot of directors you can tell just by the way it's shot and composed that it was him/her, Lumet doesn't really fall into that mold.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Charlie Kaufman = 147

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

Actually I think this topic is flawed: the number given on a "filmmaker's" page tells you how many have "favourited" that individual, but does not indicate how this is broken down between those who have listed them as a favourite director, writer or actor. It seems likely, therefore, that Kaufman is listed by many as a favourite writer rather than director, and the same distortion probably afflicts the numbers for actor/directors such as Clint Eastwood.

3dRevelation
0 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

djross wrote:Actually I think this topic is flawed: the number given on a "filmmaker's" page tells you how many have "favourited" that individual, but does not indicate how this is broken down between those who have listed them as a favourite director, writer or actor. It seems likely, therefore, that Kaufman is listed by many as a favourite writer rather than director, and the same distortion probably afflicts the numbers for actor/directors such as Clint Eastwood.

Probably. I have Kaufman listed as a favorite writer, but not as a director. Kaufman is a great writer, but I'm not a huge fan of Synecdoche.