Jorg
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Tony Scott

Post by Jorg »

Tony Scott committed suicide by jumping off a bridge :o

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/20/showb ... ?hpt=hp_t1
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni34484776/

His reasons for doing this are still unknown, but maybe he was ill or had other personal problems of some sort.

I've seen 14 of his films right now, with only 3 lesser known ones unranked. I know a lot of people here avoided this guy like the plague.. Some people liked him, others called him Ridley's hack brother. I guess he was known for loud hollywood blockbusters with flashy editing (sort of like Michael Bay's older brother). Personally, I found most of his movies to be watchable (unlike Bay's stuff).

His his most critically acclaimed movie is probably True Romance (1993). Personally, I liked Crimson Tide (1995) the most, which imho had good suspense, nice roles for Denzel Washington (who will probably be making a statement soon) and Hackman and an excellent soundtrack by Hans Zimmer.

His worst movie for me would be Domino (2005), which was just a boring POS imho.

Maybe someone can post the average (avgcrtckr?)score of his movies here so we can see which ones were most liked/disliked?
Last edited by Jorg on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Tony Scott

Post by ShogunRua »

It's unfortunate that he died, but let's be honest; Tony Scott was a mediocre director.

He had a few decent films every now and then (Beverly Hills Cop 2, True Romance, Enemy of the State), but also helped epitomize "dumb, boring Hollywood blockbuster" with trash like "Crimson Tide", "The Fan", "Days of Thunder", and "Top Gun".

Jorg
0 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

Wtf is up with criticker again :? I'm unable to compare any of Tony's rankings because only 3 of his movies appear to show up.

http://www.criticker.com/people/Tony_Scott/ - Total Films at Criticker: 3 - You've Seen 1

Jorg
0 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

movieboy wrote:Different Tony Scott - http://www.criticker.com/people/Tony_Scott_b/

Thx for pointing that out.. Requested a fix for The Last Boy Scout.. when I come to think of it, I might actually like that movie more than Crimson Tide.. Shane Black's dialogues were hilarious imho. Then again, Enemy of the State etc. are indeed also decent.

Didn't like "The Fan" either (it's the only movie along with Domino that I gave a bad rating).. De Niro's character was just too unlikeable.. It was more a depressing portrait of a disturbed nut than it was a thriller imho.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okkervil
372 Ratings

Post by Okkervil »

Real shame this. Can't say I was particuarly a fan, but I do have soft spots for Man on Fire and Enemy of the State.

RIP.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Apparently he had inoperable brain cancer, according to some reports I've seen. Awful stuff.

However, I tend to agree with what ShogunRua said. A fairly mediocre director, at least from what I've seen of his work anyway.

ewp805
0 Ratings

Post by ewp805 »

R.I.P.

Everyone will always remember him as Ridley's less-prolific little bro, but he definitely had his moments.

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Ah man, I was always looking forward for his films with Denzel Washington. Especially Man on Fire was great.

RIP Tony

ayall
0 Ratings

Post by ayall »

I haven't seen all of Tony's films, but the few I've ranked (6 total) were entertaining.

I have Deja Vu (2006) ranked highest (80 - T7), and really liked that sci-fi element.

Wasn't a huge fan of his last one, Unstoppable (2010) (75 - T4), but still found it watchable/entertaining.

I don't know what drives people to commit suicide, but can only assume some extremely troubling issues.
I'm sure living in his more famous, more acclaimed/award winning older brother didn't help.

RIP Tony