Meryl Streep

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Stewball
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Meryl Streep

Post by Stewball »

OK, first let me say that this in no way is an attempt to detract from her outstanding performances and the movies they contributed to, against which I don't think there's any real argument. They're already in the can (most notably, IMNTBHO, The Devil Wears Prada, Doubt, The Iron Lady & Adaptation) so there's nothing she can do now to detract from them.

But....

There's this movie coming out which is totally self serving. She showed in Mamma Mia that she had a passable singing voice, but that she would also bring out the big guns it had to have taken to make them ignore her age, and not to dub another singing voice for Brosnan. (Hell even Clooney had his songs dubbed in O Brother).

Anyway, in an upcoming movie that just hit the preview string on IMDb, she's a leader of a R&R band (OMG), by the title of Ricki and the Flash. It also stars her daughter (OMG x 10), with the unfortunate name of Maime Gummer; and though her Mom was never a real beauty, honesty compels me to report that she's a step or two below that. Though Meryl has been more behind the scenes as Hollywood's likely alpha female equivalent to George Clooney, this greatly increases her exposure as a power broker, and thus as a target.

I can only conclude that if Maime had true native talent, they would have done everything in their power to avoid even a whisper of nepotism, much less this blatant power play. I'll have to watch the preview again after I purge to see if I might have missed any positive aspects, though I'll keep the bucket handy.