Directors You Hate

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Antares
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Directors You Hate

Post by Antares »

TheDenizen wrote:I get your point, but Johnny Depp wasn't in Nightmare before Xmas or Corpse Bride. ;)

He was in Corpse Bride, he was the voice of Victor Van Dort

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Oops, right you are. :oops:

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

TheDenizen wrote:
Also, Burton's best films are the ones without Depp....and the best Burton/Depp collaboration is Ed Wood, which is about as far from emo as you can get.

Which is also a genuinely great, outstanding film, regardless of how you feel about Burton overall.

Anyways, Burton might be a little overrated, but he was still exceptionally talented from 1980 to 1995. In my view, he didn't make a single bad movie during that time. Sure, some were overdrawn, simplistic melodramas, with Edward Scissorhands being the worst offender, but even there, the outstanding visual flair and humor made up for it.

As for emos liking Burton's films, who the fuck cares? Does stuie299 really base his opinions on a movie on what (a part) of its fanbase is like? Seems like an awful way to approach rating films.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

yeah Ed Wood is my fave Burton/Depp film. Totally underrated.

stuie299
42 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

ShogunRua wrote:As for emos liking Burton's films, who the fuck cares? Does stuie299 really base his opinions on a movie on what (a part) of its fanbase is like? Seems like an awful way to approach rating films.

No I don't. I'm just saying those films don't appeal to me and it makes sense given who they do appeal to. If I liked those films there would be nothing wrong with it. I just don't though.

Svengali
0 Ratings

Post by Svengali »

Although it irritates me that emos like his movie, I want the emos to over to Bergman and Dreyer!!11! We need the emos! Jokes aside it irritates very much that it's not just emos, teenage girls in general seem to dig him a lot. To the point that he's become the archetype for the creative genius, the misunderstood artiste. It's pretty bad since his films are basically just really fucking stupid fails in expressionism. His films are also emotionally immature and I can't the dark quirkiness of them. He should have all respect for developing his own style and his own brand though, I still hate him and his stupid fucking hair and beard - yes we know you are all deep and have an artist's soul because you show up at the red carpet with fucking unwashed hair and some wild ass beard, you're unshaven probably because you were too busy drawing cartoons this morning.

Oh, well actually his beard isn't that untidy. And to be honest I actually do not mind Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood to be frank.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

TIL people hate Burton because teenagers like him

Synthesis
0 Ratings

Post by Synthesis »

James Cameron hasn't made a decent film since the first Terminator, and even that was only slightly above average car-chase/shoot-em-up/explosion fest masquerading as sci-fi.

If it weren't for the fact that it was the best casting ever done with Arnie, and the best performances ever put in by Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn (for the latter, his role in Tombstone may be an exception), even Terminator would have been sub-par.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Svengali wrote:Although it irritates me that emos like his movie, I want the emos to over to Bergman and Dreyer!!11! We need the emos! Jokes aside it irritates very much that it's not just emos, teenage girls in general seem to dig him a lot. To the point that he's become the archetype for the creative genius, the misunderstood artiste.

Again, who cares? Why does it affect your enjoyment of Burton's films?

Many fans of some of my favorite directors (Bergman included) happen to be pretentious, artsy douchebags...so what? It's not Bergman's fault, nor does it change the masterpiece status of his pictures.

Svengali wrote:He should have all respect for developing his own style and his own brand though, I still hate him and his stupid fucking hair and beard - yes we know you are all deep and have an artist's soul because you show up at the red carpet with fucking unwashed hair and some wild ass beard, you're unshaven probably because you were too busy drawing cartoons this morning.

So now you dislike Burton because of his physical appearance?

Seems like you have some deep-seated issues about the guy.

Pickpocket wrote:TIL people hate Burton because teenagers like him

Pretty much.

Svengali
0 Ratings

Post by Svengali »

Again, who cares? Why does it affect your enjoyment of Burton's films?

Many fans of some of my favorite directors (Bergman included) happen to be pretentious, artsy douchebags...so what? It's not Bergman's fault, nor does it change the masterpiece status of his pictures.

I'm not sure if it affects my view of his films, it irritates my definitely and probably affects my view of him. Which it shouldn't, but it's quite obvious in my opinion that I'd have trouble with him and his films even without his fanbase.

So now you dislike Burton because of his physical appearance?

Seems like you have some deep-seated issues about the guy.

I dislike his appearance, yes. But I'm also not that much of a fan of say Jim Jarmusch's appearance, but I enjoyed the two films of him I have seen.

The dislike for Burton is because of his films but the other things doesn't help.