Help needed with a heist/bank-job movie from the 80s/90s

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
Jack000
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Help needed with a heist/bank-job movie from the 80s/90s

Post by Jack000 »

I recently watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges) after not seeing it since I was a kid. It was pretty much how I remembered, although I can certainly appreciate it a bit more now. But I distinctly remembered a scene in the film which wasn't actually there in the film.
I assume I've mixed another film up with it so I'm trying to work out what it is. From what I remember, it's a bank robbery or heist movie. It's set in a small American town and the two protagonists have a discussion about this. They are trying to work out their escape route and come up with a plan to put a small explosive device into all the local police cruisers. They talk about how this couldn't work in a big city but with a small local force, they should be able to get away with it. The explosives blow out the radiators (I think) and bring the cars to a stop, they don't aim to actually kill anyone, just disable the vehicles. At one point, one of them is in the yard working on a car and is nearly caught. It goes off perfectly and the escape is made at night with the cars all being disabled at the same time.
I was convinced this was in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot but there was no sign of it. There was no alternate version or deleted scenes so I've definitely confused the film. I searched through Clint Eastwood's movies and can't find anything like this, and also had a thought it might be Burt Reynolds but I've pretty much ruled that out too.
I'm guessing it must have been a mid 80s film, just from the point of view of me seeing it around the same time but it could be later.
I remember production values being pretty high, I don't think it was a TV episode of anything.
Any help would be very much appreciated, this is driving me crazy!

Thanks.

Jack