Sequels considered remakes?

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
whatismyname
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Sequels considered remakes?

Post by whatismyname »

I've added Grunge 2 in my 'Remake of the Asian film' collection, Ju on: The Grudge being the original, and I got a PM stating it's not technically a remake, just a sequel of a remake. I myself feel it should be in the collection based on the fact that the sequel wouldn't have been made without the original, but I'd like to get a bigger consensus on the issue.

djross
10 Ratings

Re: Sequels considered remakes?

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I'll expand on what I wrote in the PM:

"The Grudge 2" (2006) is a sequel to the American film "The Grudge" (2004), which was a remake of the Japanese film "Ju-on: The Grudge" (2003). "The Grudge 2" (2006) has no relations to the original Japanese film nor the Japanese sequel "Ju-on: the Grudge 2" (2003) and is therefore not considered a remake of any film.

It's an easy mistake. ;)

Grit
0 Ratings

Post by Grit »

I'd say it's more of a distinct spin off from a remake. This is all a matter of opinion really though.

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

It's not a remake, but I'm going to exclaim a mighty WHO CARES about the general issue, as it's easily one of the shitties films in recent years and the only film which was actually so bad I felt the need to walk out of the theater 10 minutes before the end as a gesture of protest. It should not only be removed from the remake collection, it should be removed from every collection. And this site. And history.

Just feel a need to make that point every time the film is brought up. Sorry, carry on. :)

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Mmm, it was shitty. Really shitty. It actually scared me more than the first one, though, for some reason and the first one gave me nightmares back in 2004 so...

kyvetti
182 Ratings

Post by kyvetti »

While we are vaguely on subject, I was left wondering about "Remake" collection modded by td888...which quickly looking has films like Anna Karenina, Animal Farm and Beauty and the Beast, which AFAIK are not remakes of older films, but adaptations of books or stories which have been adapted before. Which is completely different thing.

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

HorrorMaster wrote:Mmm, it was shitty. Really shitty. It actually scared me more than the first one, though, for some reason and the first one gave me nightmares back in 2004 so...

That might have been true for me too if every single one of the film's scares was featured prominently in the trailer, so I knew when they were all coming. Also if the cinema hadn't been full of hundreds of 14-year olds who uttered screams at completely random times, such as when doors were opened, and so on. I wasn't scared once myself. Also, the plot was retarded as hell. Generally much of what I hate about it wasn't the film's own fault but it was a really, really dumb production.

Then again, I haven't seen the first film..

Oh, the best part was when some 30-something a few rows ahead of me stood up shouted to all the 14-year olds (mostly girls from the sound of it) screaming at random to "SHUT THE FUCK UP" about 30 minutes before the end. Most of the audience applauded, and it was pretty brilliant. Also, it shut them up for the rest of the film. Feel like I might have told that story before, but.. Well, other than that it was a piss poor movie-going experience.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Rufflesack wrote:That might have been true for me too if every single one of the film's scares was featured prominently in the trailer, so I knew when they were all coming. Also if the cinema hadn't been full of hundreds of 14-year olds who uttered screams at completely random times, such as when doors were opened, and so on. I wasn't scared once myself. Also, the plot was retarded as hell. Generally much of what I hate about it wasn't the film's own fault but it was a really, really dumb production.

I'm with you on that one. The storyline was terrible, they turned the whole concept of "when someone dies in the grip of a powerful rage, a curse is born" into like some worldwide ghost phenomenon that anyone could be affected by and it completely ruined the series. The bit where that girl gets stuck in that cupboard with that creepy-as-hell ghost was freaking terrifying though.

Oh, the best part was when some 30-something a few rows ahead of me stood up shouted to all the 14-year olds (mostly girls from the sound of it) screaming at random to "SHUT THE FUCK UP" about 30 minutes before the end. Most of the audience applauded, and it was pretty brilliant. Also, it shut them up for the rest of the film. Feel like I might have told that story before, but.. Well, other than that it was a piss poor movie-going experience.

Haha, brilliant! It's times like these I wish I went to see movies at the theatres again....of course, then I'm reminded of these annoying 14-year olds again and my mind moves directly onto different things.
Last edited by MmzHrrdb on Mon May 04, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Yeah, well.. Even as that was possibly the single greatest moment in my theatre-going life, I'm still not sure going to see Grudge 2 was worth it. In fact, it was some promotional day in theatres in town and all tickets were half-price. Even at half-price I'm not sure it was worth it.

I still walked out, 10 minutes before the end, filled with rage at the quality of the movie and depression about the state of humanity (state of 14-year old girls who go to see horror films, anyway). Even as I gladly tell the tale of the 30-something (hencefourth known as "my hero") who stood up to the retards in the audience I look back regretfully at the 2 hours of my life I wasted. It's one of my least favorite movies, in any case, and.. It was barely even worth going even to be able to call it that - and remember I'm a person who actively seeks out bad films for entertainment.