collections limited due to search

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
Luna6ix
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

collections limited due to search

Post by Luna6ix »

i had found a collection, a public collection created by horrormaster having to do with demonic things, and i thought a movie i had seen as a child would fit in quite well. so i type in the EXACT name of it "the fear", but was unable to find it in the bottom of the collections part of the movie page. it seems the search results are both limited, and inaccurate enough to make it difficult to find a particular movie if you dont moderate the collection.

PeaceAnarchy
0 Ratings

Re: collections limited due to search

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

I've found this to it happens for certain words that give a whole lot of results. The solution is to search for the movie outside, which doesn't limit the results to the first 3, and add the collection through the movie's page.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Happens to me constantly. Search on this site is so weird.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for the specific example of the problem you're encountering. This should help us improve the searching. We'll take a look into it and hopefully be able to improve it soon!

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Yeah, the whole "3 results" way of working the search results only makes sense if the site would consistently return the 3 most likely results.. It's quite annoying when I search for the exact wording of a specific title and the search returns 3 titles only containing one of the words, or none of the words, or some other weird shit for reasons unknown to me. It's most annoying when I do it for movies I know have been added, but not processed, where the search on the collections page is my only way of adding them. Having to wait until they're processed likely means I'll forget, so it's quite a hassle.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the search functions around this site have been inflicted with some weird curse. There's always something wrong, or something weird, and when it's improved something else like this comes up.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

I tried to add Terminator 2 to a collection yesterday and the 3 most random movies I've ever seen popped up. I had to add :Judgment Day to get it to work. Ridiculous I tell you, ridiculous!

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

lol, just tried to do that myself. Hilarity ensued.
Terminator, The (1984, Dir: James Cameron)
Alien Terminator (1996, Dir: Dave Payne)
Russian Terminator (1989, Dir: Mats Helge)

I can understand the terminator popping up, of course. And I really don't want to sound like I don't appreciate the way this site is designed (I do), but let's face that fact that the search function in the collection pages is utterly ludicrous. When I search for "Terminator 2" there's really no excuse for even the first movie popping up not being Terminator 2.

That said, I know that searches like this probably function in ways I can't comprehend. Still, it's pretty funny how wrong this collection search gets it so often.

As a side note, Pickpocket, you continue to create brilliant collections. Excellent.