Revamped Title Information Page

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Revamped Title Information Page

Post by BadCosmonaut »

I have custom colors set up using the "Manually control the colors & quips applied to your ratings with this tool" button on my profile page. Specifically, I have it set up to show:

7+ dark green
5-6 light green
4 yellow
1-3 red

On the Overview tab of the new version, some (but not all) probable score 6s are showing as dark green, and some (but not all) probable score 3s are showing as yellow. This remains true even after I refresh the movie page in question.

Example 6 that is dark green to me (when it should be light green).
Example 3 that is yellow to me (when it should be red).

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

In the Compact ratings view on the Overview tab of the new version, whenever I click "Read review" to open the pop up review window, the background UI shifts slightly to the right if I don't have the page zoomed in at all or if it's only zoomed in at 110%, or it doesn't shift at all if I have the page zoomed in at 120%, or it shifts slightly to the left if I have it zoomed in at 130% or more. The shifting is slightly jarring and annoying, and I'm assuming the shift is unintended.

As soon as I close the review, it shifts back to how it was before.

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

A couple of suggestions:

In the Compact ratings view on the Overview tab of the new version, whenever I click "Read review" to open the pop up review window, I'd like that rating block to become greyed out slightly, and I'd prefer for it to remain greyed out after I click out of the pop up review window. After that, if I click a new review, then the old rating block would become white again and the new one would become greyed out slightly. This way it's easy to see at a glance which review I just closed. If there's a bunch of reviews that I'm clicking through, it would be nice to have a visual cue which one I'm on.

Example (ignore the blacked out usernames):

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

I forgot to add my second suggestion to the post above. My second suggestion is that when I mouse over the "Read review" button in the compact view, I'd like a mouse over tool tip to appear that shows just text of the user's review. Note the distinction between a tool tip (which is what I'm requesting) versus the pop up window that pops up if I click "Read review". I'm saying that if I hover my mouse over "Read review" but don't click it, then I'd like for just the review text to be visible as some kind of tool tip. As soon as I move my mouse away from the button, the tool tip would disappear.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Thank you so much for these bug reports and suggestions! These are great, and there a couple usability improvements here we hadn't before considered, but really like! I'll address these all.

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:53 am
I have custom colors set up...
Yes, this one we know about, and it's one of the highest-priority items we have to fix. We'll make an announcement once it's working properly.

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:01 am
In the Compact ratings view on the Overview tab of the new version, whenever I click "Read review" to open the pop up review window, the background UI shifts slightly to the right
Hmm... this is a new one. We'll look into it, and again, let you know when it's fixed or if we need more info. It would definitely be unintentional.

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:10 am
In the Compact ratings view on the Overview tab of the new version, whenever I click "Read review" to open the pop up review window, I'd like that rating block to become greyed out slightly
This is a great idea! I can totally see that how, although subtle, this would be a major usability improvement for users clicking on review after review. We've submitted this as a feature request.

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:15 am
when I mouse over the "Read review" button in the compact view, I'd like a mouse over tool tip to appear that shows just text of the user's review.
Another excellent idea that seems so obvious, it's incredible we didn't think about it ourselves!! I've added this as another enhancement we'll definitely be looking into soon.

Thanks so much for these constructive and clearly-described ideas and bugs! This kind of feedback is so helpful!

KasperL
156 Ratings

Post by KasperL »

mpowell wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:09 am
As I said, we’ve got loads of improvements and bug fixes coming up, and can’t wait to get to work on them — almost all of them originating from the feedback you’ve been giving us. Keep letting us know when you think we’re off track, but also please understand that we’re trying to grow the site into something bigger than it has been. There are going to be a lot of changes along the path towards Criticker reaching its true potential, and we've just started.
<3

AFlickering
288 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

mpowell wrote:
But you also know that Criticker, as it exists, has not grown in 15 years, and has actually been slowly atrophying. We can’t continue like this. If Criticker doesn’t modernize, it will go away.
nothing else really matters to me except this tbh. i'd rather have a version of criticker i like less than lose it completely, the functionality is important to me and there's no website i've spent more time on in the past 15 years (except maybe rateyourmusic which has its own myriad of problems lol). and frankly you guys have always been very open to suggestions and feedback throughout my time here and solved a lot of issues promptly, so i have faith that you'll get it to where people need it to be. this is way too early for people to be wigging out over the changes, you've made it clear numerous times that this isn't the finished product.

that said... just more information visible with less scrolling and clicking would solve a large portion of the criticisms i feel like, so i would recommend that be a big focus. or alternatively, offering more optionality so that users can choose how they want to view it, much like you have done with the compact vs. detailed. i think that's absolutely a step in the right direction but more additions like that may be needed to keep folks happy. hell, if you just keep the old version available indefinitely for those who want it then nobody should be bothered by any of this anyway, but i'm not sure what your plans are there.

p.s. if criticker grows to the point that i one day get to have book criticker and music criticker this will be my eden no matter what it looks like xD

KasperL
156 Ratings

Post by KasperL »

AFlickering wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:51 pm
mpowell wrote:
But you also know that Criticker, as it exists, has not grown in 15 years, and has actually been slowly atrophying. We can’t continue like this. If Criticker doesn’t modernize, it will go away.
nothing else really matters to me except this tbh. i'd rather have a version of criticker i like less than lose it completely, the functionality is important to me and there's no website i've spent more time on in the past 15 years (except maybe rateyourmusic which has its own myriad of problems lol). and frankly you guys have always been very open to suggestions and feedback throughout my time here and solved a lot of issues promptly, so i have faith that you'll get it to where people need it to be. this is way too early for people to be wigging out over the changes, you've made it clear numerous times that this isn't the finished product.

that said... just more information visible with less scrolling and clicking would solve a large portion of the criticisms i feel like, so i would recommend that be a big focus. or alternatively, offering more optionality so that users can choose how they want to view it, much like you have done with the compact vs. detailed. i think that's absolutely a step in the right direction but more additions like that may be needed to keep folks happy. hell, if you just keep the old version available indefinitely for those who want it then nobody should be bothered by any of this anyway, but i'm not sure what your plans are there.

p.s. if criticker grows to the point that i one day get to have book criticker and music criticker this will be my eden no matter what it looks like xD
I agree with every single word of this post.

Having spent an obscene amount of hours using Criticker, still hands down the site I visit most often on a daily basis, I'm naturally trepidatious too (downright scared even).

But I trust that Mike and the rest of the team will get it right. Thank you so much for putting in all the hard work necessary to do so.

gogolit
0 Ratings

Post by gogolit »

Guys, you need to change this. Only being able to view the first 5 written reviews, when you used to be able to scroll easily through every single one is a humongous downgrade. Especially when everything has been made much bigger. Now you have to click through to and load a whole seperate page to read the reviews. Most people simply wont do that. I like to be able to quickly scroll over all the reviews. The top 5 often I might disagree with.

gogolit
0 Ratings

Post by gogolit »

Also, now I have to click through to load a new page of collections, and then, when I get there, I have to load even more pages to get through all the collections. Before, I could just click the collections tab, and could view every single collection at a click.

Everything new has been a usability downgrade so far. Surely testing highlighted this? To do my usual browsing of a film, I now probably have to open and load about 10 pages. Is this for more ad money? I dont get this.