Big (and Wide) New Changes Coming to Criticker - March 4th

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
mpowell
1 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Big (and Wide) New Changes Coming to Criticker - March 4th

Post by mpowell »

Hey everyone,

We just posted a new article about updates that are coming to the site on March 4th! These include a move to a full-width layout, as well as updates to the Title Information Page, and more!

New Changes Coming to Criticker

We hope you'll like these updates when they debut on March 4th, and that you're as excited for the future of Criticker as we are! As we mention in the article, we're just getting started, and have big plans in store for the site. In order to move forward, we do have to sunset some older things (in this case, the legacy Title Information page and Tiers), but are hopeful that the reasoning for that makes sense!

Anyway, take a look at the full article, and if you have any concerns or questions, let us know by sending an email to info@criticker.com, or here in the forum!

Skavau
0 Ratings

Re: Big (and Wide) New Changes Coming to Criticker - March 4th

Post by Skavau »

Looks good.

Check your messages! (11 unread)

prowler
10 Ratings

Post by prowler »

i've always loved Tiers, am bummed that i switched to percentiles and would've wanted to switch back, percentiles are horrible (not in theory, ofc, but in the way they're presented)

but if the new changes really work as planned and bring in new people, then it's something i can live with

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Old user here. I'm still using the tiers and old title info page. Not looking forward to the changes, but it is what it is. I just hope the new screen layout will be better used. There's too much whitespace and scrolling involved at the moment.

tev
30 Ratings

Post by tev »

“infinite scroll for reviews” ooh, this sounds like it’ll bring back the only thing I really remember missing from the old title page, which was being able to skim a bunch of reviews quickly. Nice!

(I’ve been fine with the new design overall though anyway, maybe just because I switched soon after I joined here but I thought it was basically fine, and been watching the debates bemusedly from the sidelines 🤷 Coming from IMDB, both versions of Criticker’s design have been a breath of fresh air since IMDB site lags horribly, which is why I wound up here in the first place.)

Victoriouz
23 Ratings

Post by Victoriouz »

If the pagination is being completely replaced by the infinite scroll, can we also get an option to sort the results from lowest to highest (Z-A) as well?

Currently if I wanted to view who gave The Matrix the lowest scores I would just go to page 319 and go backwards from there; I just want to make sure I wouldn't have to load all 31.8k+ ratings on the new update lmao

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Victoriouz wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:46 am
If the pagination is being completely replaced by the infinite scroll, can we also get an option to sort the results from lowest to highest (Z-A) as well?
That's a good point -- we're not going to have that right out of the gate, but sorting "either way" on these things is something we should definitely be looking into.

knoroz
26 Ratings

Post by knoroz »

Looks great. Thanks!

MacSwell
0 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Sad to see the original layout go, everything feels so much more intuitive and it just uses the space better so you can see much more information on a single screen. The width of the new layout makes it miles less pleasant to read reviews than when they were in those neat little boxes to one side, and I imagine therefore I'll find myself doing far less idle scrolling through them :(

I really, really hope that you'll also remove the necessity to click on "More" to see the full cast list, it's so annoying and needless.

Similar Titles section is a very poor and unnecessary addition so it'd be great to be able to customize the page and remove features like that.

Always backed Tiers over Percentiles too; 10's just easy for a monkey brain like mine.

March 4th gonna be a sad day.

Skavau
0 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

MacSwell wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:27 pm
Sad to see the original layout go, everything feels so much more intuitive and it just uses the space better so you can see much more information on a single screen. The width of the new layout makes it miles less pleasant to read reviews than when they were in those neat little boxes to one side, and I imagine therefore I'll find myself doing far less idle scrolling through them :(

I really, really hope that you'll also remove the necessity to click on "More" to see the full cast list, it's so annoying and needless.

Similar Titles section is a very poor and unnecessary addition so it'd be great to be able to customize the page and remove features like that.

Always backed Tiers over Percentiles too; 10's just easy for a monkey brain like mine.

March 4th gonna be a sad day.
Sure, it could be nice to hide it for users who have no interest in it - but actually, the "Similar Titles" function has massive potential if users make collections effectively (as I am trying to do).

Other sites have horrific algorithms for determing "similar titles". This site does not. It just needs some love and attention from the base.