A Full-Width Layout for Criticker, and More!

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
Skavau
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: A Full-Width Layout for Criticker, and More!

Post by Skavau »

mpowell wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:31 am
Skavau wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:25 pm
Also search within moderating collections doesn't work right now. Nothing happens.
This should be fixed! Please let us know if it's still causing problems :)
Now works

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

djross wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:27 am
On the Forum page, the search box at the top of the page for Film/TV etc. doesn't propose titles after one begins typing in a title.
Thanks for catching that! It's been fixed :)

tev
30 Ratings

Post by tev »

I’ve only just started looking at it but I’ve got to say that I LOVE it. The new reviews layout is perfect to skim on my phone.

With the disclaimer that I haven’t played around with it on my PC yet, but I think it will be fine.

To earlier posters remarking about the width on desktop, note that it’s often possible to change sites into a fixed width layout if you want using “user styles” (custom CSS in your browser), on Criticker it might be something like

Code: Select all

body {
max-width: 50% !important; /* constrains the width of the page overall, adjust to taste */
margin: 0 auto !important; /* centers the page contents */
}

Just quickly tried that out on my iphone, but:
IMG_5626.jpeg
IMG_5626.jpeg (145.12 KiB) Viewed 611 times
(User styles/user scripts can probably resolve some of the subjective layout complaints if you have a little CSS/JS knowledge and patience, I’m pretty happy with Criticker as is so probably won’t write any myself but figured I’d mention the possibility)

A couple minor bugs I saw:

The forum post headers seem to have some accidental unused space sometimes?
Spoiler!
IMG_5624.jpeg
IMG_5624.jpeg (143.8 KiB) Viewed 611 times

And the “Watch it now” modal really didn’t want to let me scroll down to see more streaming services when they ran off the screen, when I swiped it kept scrolling the background page instead of the modal contents. It worked eventually, so not a big deal just a little awkward

Thanks for the hard work y’all!
Last edited by tev on Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Update! - Criticker will now remember whether you'd prefer to see the Expanded Cast & Info on the Title Information page, or the compact view! Details here.

Quite a few people have suggested this particular feature enhancement, so I wanted to make sure that everyone saw it!

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

DSouza_Vasco wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:04 pm
mpowell wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:24 am
DSouza_Vasco wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:17 am
In the Filmmaker List, the option to show actors/directors by number of ratings, is not working.
Thanks so much for reporting this!! Totally missed it during testing (along with a few other things, apparently gulp) but we've got it working now, I think!
Still not working properly. This works only if you choose to show directors/actors with 10 or more movies rated. And even them, the number of ratings dont appear in the right side, just the average score.
Sorry about that, I think we were a bit hasty before! Now it should be working properly :) Thanks again for letting us know!

Here's an example of Actors ordered by number of ratings

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

djross wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:02 am
Database loads 60 films per page in three columns, 20 per column. But currently, it lists 21 films in the first column, 21 in the second column and 18 in the third column.
I haven't been able to replicate this one. The next time it happens, would you mind sending a screenshot to support@criticker.com (or attaching it here?) We'll need to be able to reproduce this in-house before figuring out how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

Just testing spoilers
Spoiler!
We love you

frederic_g54
0 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

Our own review doesn't appear when browsing a movie page, you can only read it when clicking on the 'Edit' button.
Seems a bit weird IMO, any way of changing this?
Thanks!

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

frederic_g54 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:34 am
Our own review doesn't appear when browsing a movie page, you can only read it when clicking on the 'Edit' button.
Seems a bit weird IMO, any way of changing this?
Thanks!
Could you confirm whether it appears at the top of the Ratings List? This was the intention... that your review would appear atop the reviews of others.

That said, we do plan on changing this, so that your review appears more prominently toward the top of the page. But I'd like to know if it's at least working the way we meant it to.

bof
0 Ratings

Post by bof »

Good for you. So how do I revert to one where I don't have to read from one edge of the screen to the other? There's a reason newspapers (and news sites) use narrow columns.

mjoc0723
Ratings

Post by mjoc0723 »

It is terrible! Can't find anything! Please change it back or I will not be a supporting member any longer. :x