A Full-Width Layout for Criticker, and More!

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
mpowell
1 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: A Full-Width Layout for Criticker, and More!

Post by mpowell »

P u l p wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:18 am
I apologize if it seems like I'm repeating myself, but I still cannot view my own review when the 'compact view' is activated.
Yeah, we're aware of this -- we're working on a fix!

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Ramy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:22 pm
Another minor bug:

On any movie's page, reviews that had already been starred are not showing the yellow star anymore. When putting your cursor over the empty star, we're still shown the option to "star this review".
Oof, thanks for finding that! We'll take a look and update here!

P u l p
0 Ratings

Post by P u l p »

It would be helpful if the 'Kumpels' page included the production years of the various movies

MacSwell
0 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I don't think anyone's digging the width

sproost
0 Ratings

Post by sproost »

P u l p wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:32 am
It would be helpful if the 'Kumpels' page included the production years of the various movies
I was coming here to post just that. I really miss the years in the kumpel view.

Neonman
0 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

I've let this new design sit with me for a second. I'm glad some of the whacky bugs have been dealt with.

Ultimately, I don't mind the Kumpels page too much, except for the issue of not displaying production years -- definitely important. But this Kumpels page still seems usable.

What I'm not a fan of are the Movie pages themselves. Before, when you were brought to the page, you could see your own review sitting right here, and next to it were your Kumpels' reviews, and you'd only have to scroll down if there were a bunch of them there.
But now, there's a big fat ad in between the movie's production info and the reviews, EVEN your own. This is certainly no improvement, it just means more scrolling for all of us. The original version had ads in the right place that weren't fucking up the usability of the site -- but that's now unfortunately changed.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

On a film title page, only the start of reviews are visible, having to hit a "more" button to see the rest. Aside from the fact that I'm not a fan of this initial concealment, sometimes, for example on iPad, if a user has a long name (e.g. iconogassed), then the "more" button can end up hidden underneath the little TCI box, meaning that there's no way to expand the review.

psy
4 Ratings

Post by psy »

the narrow site was one of the things that bother me the most, so this is great. just think that the navigation bar should get a bit of a face lift also.

psy
4 Ratings

Post by psy »

The next step, and a must do in my book, its to give a face lift to the movies database and user ratings. the "inline just title and that´s it" its a bit outdated and so is the user profile. nothing fancy, no big changes, just facelifts and keep up with the times.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for all your thoughts, as always. Just to address a couple of the latest ones that came in...

Neonman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:25 pm
Before, when you were brought to the page, you could see your own review sitting right here
We are working now on a new way to show your rating/review above the fold, so that it's visible immediately on the page. This was basically an oversight on our part, and we're taking a little time with it because we want to make sure to design this new element properly.

Neonman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:25 pm
The original version had ads in the right place that weren't fucking up the usability of the site -- but that's now unfortunately changed.
We're very aware of this, and working with our partner right now to display ads which integrate better into the layout of the site.

djross wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:20 pm
On a film title page, only the start of reviews are visible, having to hit a "more" button to see the rest. Aside from the fact that I'm not a fan of this initial concealment, sometimes, for example on iPad, if a user has a long name (e.g. iconogassed), then the "more" button can end up hidden underneath the little TCI box, meaning that there's no way to expand the review.
Reviews are expanded by default in the Detailed view of the Ratings & Review. In the Compact view, we needed to shorten them, to keep things as compact as possible. But that sounds like a bug if the "more" button is being obscured on some devices. We'll look into it!

psy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:38 pm
The next step, and a must do in my book, its to give a face lift to the movies database and user ratings. the "inline just title and that´s it" its a bit outdated and so is the user profile. nothing fancy, no big changes, just facelifts and keep up with the times.
This is definitely on our list! We started with the Title Information Page, but we plan on revamping every other page on Criticker. And thanks for the vote of confidence on the new Title Information Page!

This thread has grown quite long, so we're going to close it now. Any future bugs you find, please send them to support@criticker.com, or submit them to Bugs forum. And ideas for Feature Enhancements can go to that forum. Thanks as always for all your input!