Bug Fixes - April 7

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
mpowell
1 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Bug Fixes - April 7

Post by mpowell »

We've got another set of changes and fixes for you all this Sunday. As always a big thanks to everyone who's helped report these issues!

Changes to the Rating Modal
We've made a few big changes to the rating modal on the Title Information page.

First, we've made it so that if you close the modal while in the middle of writing a review, your work is retained if you then re-open the modal. The modal will remember the score, the review, and the date watched, in case the modal is closed on purpose or by mistake. (A full page refresh will still reset any review which hasn't been submitted).

Also, we've added a cool new feature which allows you to see what your percentile will be, given the score you've typed in. We think this will really help people fine-tune and understand their ratings!

Finally, we've removed the summary from the modal, when it's accessed from the Title Information page. There was no reason to repeat this information here, and it should make the modal much more usable.

Very popular films not showing any reviews
This one was a "yikes" moment for us, as some films were hitting a memory limit. Only a handful of films, but it was a handful of the most popular films on Criticker! We've adjusted the code to handle these types of films in a much better way, so hopefully this won't recur!

Posters too pixellated
There were a couple places on the site, such as Search Results, where we were upsizing small images to bigger sizes, instead of downsizing larger images, leading to unnecessary pixellation.

Error when batch editing ratings
From the Film Database, the ability to batch-edit ratings was often encountering an error, which has now been fixed.

Error when ratings sorted by date
If your preference was set to indicate that you wanted reviews sorted by date, you might have encountered a system error. That's now been fixed.

That's all for now! We hope you like these changes. And if we haven't yet worked on an issue you reported, don't worry -- we'll be getting to it soon!

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Re: Bug Fixes - April 7

Post by BadCosmonaut »

mpowell wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:13 am

...Posters too pixellated
There were a couple places on the site, such as Search Results, where we were upsizing small images to bigger sizes, instead of downsizing larger images, leading to unnecessary pixellation...
On movie pages, posters are still being upsized from a tiny image. I checked the last 10 movies I watched, and they all had the same issue. Load a movie page like this, right click the poster, select "Open Image in New Tab" or whatever the equivilent selection is in your browser, navigate to that new tab that just has the image and see how tiny the image is. The images I'm seeing are 180x256ish px or so, and on the movie pages they are all being blown up which is probably why they look bad. Honestly even the small versions don't look so great, as if they got downsized in quality when they were converted to being tiny.

Also, I don't think this is an issue due to the original poster submitter submitting a small poster, since I checked movies/posters I submitted myself and they were all small like this even though I don't think I ever submitted small posters like this.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:15 pm
mpowell wrote:

...Posters too pixellated
There were a couple places on the site, such as Search Results, where we were upsizing small images to bigger sizes, instead of downsizing larger images, leading to unnecessary pixellation...
On movie pages, posters are still being upsized from a tiny image. I checked the last 10 movies I watched, and they all had the same issue. Load a movie page like this, right click the poster, select "Open Image in New Tab" or whatever the equivilent selection is in your browser, navigate to that new tab that just has the image and see how tiny the image is. The images I'm seeing are 180x256ish px or so, and on the movie pages they are all being blown up which is probably why they look bad. Honestly even the small versions don't look so great, as if they got downsized in quality when they were converted to being tiny.

Also, I don't think this is an issue due to the original poster submitter submitting a small poster, since I checked movies/posters I submitted myself and they were all small like this even though I don't think I ever submitted small posters like this.
Yeah, you're right about that -- the bug we fixed was actually a little different: on some pages, images were sizing up from like 40px to a much bigger size, and looked really pixellated. This was only happening on a couple pages (search results being one, I believe). This what you've pointed out, is related to another bug we have on the docks. I should have been more clear in the notes for the fix!

amazedemon
25 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

mpowell wrote:
Changes to the Rating Modal
We've made a few big changes to the rating modal on the Title Information page.

First, we've made it so that if you close the modal while in the middle of writing a review, your work is retained if you then re-open the modal. The modal will remember the score, the review, and the date watched, in case the modal is closed on purpose or by mistake. (A full page refresh will still reset any review which hasn't been submitted).

Also, we've added a cool new feature which allows you to see what your percentile will be, given the score you've typed in. We think this will really help people fine-tune and understand their ratings!
Thanks. Really appreciate this fix.