How do you obtain the films you watch?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How do you obtain the films you watch?

Post by ShogunRua »

ezpkns34 wrote:Connect my laptop to my tv (via S-Video or HDMI, depending on which laptop) & then play movies from 1channel.ch

They've got a pretty good selection. If they don't have what I'm looking for, will usually head to demonoid or another torrent site

Demonoid hasn't been around since early August...

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

ShogunRua wrote:Demonoid hasn't been around since early August...

Unfortunately :( They finally bit the dust and it looks like they're not coming back.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I see the new releases in the theater and buy the blu ray if it's worth watching more than once. VOD rarely, but I record a lot of older stuff on the free channels. Never done the illegal bit.

PeaceAnarchy
0 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

Stewball wrote:I record a lot of older stuff on the free channels.

What free channels? None of the over the air TV channels I've seen have anything more than the occasional movie, usually edited, and rarely more than 15 years old.

andagh
0 Ratings

Post by andagh »

I rent most of the movies I watch.

For those of you still using public torrent sites, it's probably not a great idea if you live in a country like the US or UK unless you have a seedbox or something.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Patiently awaiting the return of megaupload...

I used to be a regular at my local rental shop a few years ago when there was one near my home but since then I've moved and rental shops seem to have mostly disappeared. And I don't feel like walking 10 miles each way just to rent a movie from a decent rental shop. Would love to watch real DVDs but until then 1.4Gb versions of stuff from the dark corners of internetland will suffice. My internet connection is not good enough to download full 4.7Gb+ images in reasonable time frame.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

nauru wrote:Patiently awaiting the return of megaupload...

Me too man, me too. Although there are a dozen smaller upload websites that have taken its place.

It's neither here nor there, but it's fucked up that Hollywood companies pressured the US Justice Department into taking down Megaupload and its founder when they have broken no laws, and are using the exact same upload service, with the same policies that everyone else (including major companies like Youtube) has.

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

It's a loosing battle for RIAA and similar organizations.

Downloading movies and music will not stop, unless Hollywood will adjust their business model.

Pirate Bay Moves to The Cloud
http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-move ... of-121017/

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

movieboy wrote:
td888 wrote:It's a loosing battle for RIAA and similar organizations.

Downloading movies and music will not stop, unless Hollywood will adjust their business model.

What should they adjust their business model to?

To anything but their current archaic model. Here is a nice article: http://map.revues.org/246?lang=en

Some excerpts:
Customized consumption: As explained before, the new generation of consumers (‘digital natives’) demands a personalized way to enjoy online entertainment content—music, movies, TV series, videogames—which means complete freedom of choice, flexibility and portability.

Redefining the window sequence: the distribution sector as we know it is condemned to disappear or to be dramatically transformed—into online content aggregators, for instance. Physical copies will soon disappear, and ‘virtual markets’ will end up as the preferred option

Content is still king but it needs adaptation: Despite recent advances in technology, creativity is still the cornerstone of the audiovisual industry. No matter how fast technology is evolving or how dramatically distribution is changing, “if you have a great story to tell, it will work on any delivery system”

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

movieboy wrote:
td888 wrote:It's a loosing battle for RIAA and similar organizations.

What should they adjust their business model to?

As td888 accurately posted, there are a litany of things they can do. However, you want to see a business model that is ALREADY implementing this, and has been massively successful, look no further than Steam.

Instant downloads, a digital copy of the game that stays with you forever (granted, as long as you keep the Steam client), lower prices, constant massive sales, tons of free games, etc.

If there was a similar service for movies, it would be massively successful, and a huge improvement over their current one.

By the way, one thing about piracy is that you can never prove that it "costs" anyone a single red cent.

Even if you discount

1. People who download something that they have paid money for in the past. (I have done this on numerous occasions, actually, especially with old games or movies I have seen in theaters)
2. People who pay for something later on after downloading it. (Done this a few times)

there is still the massive group that

3. Wouldn't pay for the good in a million years unless they could download it for free.