Book's you've been reading lately

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
cagedwisdom
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Book's you've been reading lately

Post by cagedwisdom »

There are few books I enjoy. It's just not my favorite medium.. Still love the Harry Potter books and I've recently begun listening to the audio books (brilliantly narrated by Stephen Fry) again on the bus to school and so on. Currently on book #3.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Rufflesack wrote:There are few books I enjoy. It's just not my favorite medium.. Still love the Harry Potter books and I've recently begun listening to the audio books (brilliantly narrated by Stephen Fry) again on the bus to school and so on. Currently on book #3.

This pretty much represents my views on books as well, as I haven't read a book the whole way through in quite a while, and I think the "Harry Potter" books I think are some of the best out there.

Stephen Fry is the shizz, by the way.

theficionado
0 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

-BigEvil- wrote:The last book I finished was Naked Lunch, which was fantastic. I watched Cronenberg's film for the second time afterwards, and my appreciation for it was increased ten-fold. I ordered Crime & Punishment damn near a month ago from Amazon and it still hasn't shipped. Those bastards.

I don't read a whole lot - a few books a year I guess - but I really like hard science-fiction.

If it's an acclaimed piece of fiction -- Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, Deliverance, No Country for Old Men, Naked Lunch -- I will refuse to see the movie before reading the book. I don't want somebody's visual interpretation to influence my reading of the book.

Re: Crime & Punishment: Did you get the Pevear and Volokhonsky interpretation?

Oh, and I'm currently reading:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Rabbit, Run by John Updike (RIP)
Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino (<--- love this man)

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9S5-EB8dR8

henry rollins hates dating and harry potter, so great

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

theficionado wrote:
-BigEvil- wrote:The last book I finished was Naked Lunch, which was fantastic. I watched Cronenberg's film for the second time afterwards, and my appreciation for it was increased ten-fold. I ordered Crime & Punishment damn near a month ago from Amazon and it still hasn't shipped. Those bastards.

I don't read a whole lot - a few books a year I guess - but I really like hard science-fiction.

If it's an acclaimed piece of fiction -- Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, Deliverance, No Country for Old Men, Naked Lunch -- I will refuse to see the movie before reading the book. I don't want somebody's visual interpretation to influence my reading of the book.

Re: Crime & Punishment: Did you get the Pevear and Volokhonsky interpretation?

This is respectable, but as I said I don't read terribly often and I'm more concerned with seeing movies than reading books (and indeed I have seen Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, and No Country for Old Men without reading the source material for any of them).

And yes, I did get the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation. From what I hear it's the best.

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

HorrorMaster wrote:
Rufflesack wrote:There are few books I enjoy. It's just not my favorite medium.. Still love the Harry Potter books and I've recently begun listening to the audio books (brilliantly narrated by Stephen Fry) again on the bus to school and so on. Currently on book #3.

This pretty much represents my views on books as well, as I haven't read a book the whole way through in quite a while, and I think the "Harry Potter" books I think are some of the best out there.

Stephen Fry is the shizz, by the way.

He totally is. I've listened through all his 7 readings of the books.. At least twice before, I think. It's marvellous, Fry even beats reading the books yourself even though it takes a lot longer this way.

The only other books apart from HP I've been able to enjoy reading have been The Da Vinci Code (which I've in hindsight pondered might have been crap) and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as well as a few humorous books by a funny Norwegian author.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I started reading Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny, great premise

Melvin Smif
0 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

I just finished reading "Troll: A Love Story" because I read in an article that a director wanted to make it into a movie (of course I have since forgotten who that was and can no longer find the article). It isn't too bad, pretty short, and I'm sure there was something lost in the finnish to english translation. It won numerous awards in its home country and I just didn't find it to be that great.

I am currently reading World War Z.

sebby
0 Ratings

Post by sebby »

i like http://www.goodreads.com better than library thing.

currently reading philip k dick.

theficionado
0 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

I, too, am on goodreads. Love it.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1803887