Point the Dirty Finger

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: Point the Dirty Finger

Post by MmzHrrdb »

PeaceAnarchy wrote:
LordofDance wrote:PeaceAnarchy has Nights of Cabiria as a Tier 1. He further takes a whizz on decency and good taste by calling the infinitely lovable prostitute from the film a "whiny whore."

So are you saying she's not a whiny whore? Because she's a prostitute (i.e. whore) who spends the entire film feeling sorry for herself and complaining and making bad decisions just so she can complain some more (i.e. whining). Just because Masina can make cute faces doesn't make her lovable. I stand by this review and am surprised I rated it as high as I did, I was probably still giving Fellini the benefit of the doubt from 8 1/2 at that point. Speaking of which

LordofDance wrote:A rambling, obnoxious mess that tested my patience throughout. I found no character to relate to, no story to get involved in, and no ideas worth pondering. Boring and self-indulgent.

Really? The no character you can relate to and no story parts I can understand, and of course it's self indulgent, but no ideas worth pondering? The whole film is about ideas and film and life in general and just because Fellini puts a lot of himself in it doesn't make those ideas inapplicable to others.

Cabiria is a "whiny whore" as much as the characters from Goodfellas or The Godfather movies are worthless thugs who are too maladjusted and ignorant to cut it in society. There are an ocean of movie characters that behave in a manner that is difficult to justify, yet people still like them. The truth is, though, Cabiria doesn't really feel sorry for herself in the movie. She's optimstic most of the time, even when it defies common sense to be optimistic. Even at the end, when she certainly could wallow in self-pity, she appears to be trying to maintain a stiff upper lip.

There are plenty of movies that are about life in general that are waaaay more engaging than 8 1/2. The ideas are inapplicable at the very least because the movie is monstrously bloated and boring, and so it is isn't worth slogging through the movie in the first place to find the ideas.

Melvin Smif
0 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around kyle.loomis placing "Django" in his teir 1. Sure the movie has a few flaws, pacing being the biggest and it certainly isn't "Yojimbo", but was it really teir 1 bad?

Dorkovsky
836 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

Melvin Smif wrote:I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around kyle.loomis placing "Django" in his teir 1. Sure the movie has a few flaws, pacing being the biggest and it certainly isn't "Yojimbo", but was it really teir 1 bad?

my tiers are top heavy, so I would just say it was tier 2 bad. I'll admit it was an intriguing movie, and I can enjoy style over substance, but I still need a little more substance than that. It just felt sloppy.

slidercc
0 Ratings

Post by slidercc »

Anyone who has Jeepers Creepers rated higher than a 0.

Dorkovsky
836 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

slidercc wrote:Anyone who has Jeepers Creepers rated higher than a 0.

so sayeth a man who considers bill and ted adventures to be fine cinema

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

kyle.loomis wrote:
slidercc wrote:Anyone who has Jeepers Creepers rated higher than a 0.

so sayeth a man who considers bill and ted adventures to be fine cinema

bill and ted is the best cultural phenomena to come out of the 80's, far superior in entertainment value and lasting power to the numerous molly ringwald movies and the over rated "the breakfast club"

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

I just read something that made me cringe. I just watched Fast and Furious and was just reading through the reviews when I came across this one:

lvlr wrote:The story line is a quite typical cop and bad guy revenge story. But the camera work maybe the best I've ever seen in my life. There's no real cons, and this one major pro is enough to make it stand out so far I say go watch the film!

Are you kidding me? This guy has seen over a thousand movies and Fast and Furious was the best camera work ever? FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. I can't justify this stupidity. Please defend yourself.

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

Pickpocket wrote:I just read something that made me cringe. I just watched Fast and Furious and was just reading through the reviews when I came across this one:

lvlr wrote:The story line is a quite typical cop and bad guy revenge story. But the camera work maybe the best I've ever seen in my life. There's no real cons, and this one major pro is enough to make it stand out so far I say go watch the film!

Are you kidding me? This guy has seen over a thousand movies and Fast and Furious was the best camera work ever? FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. I can't justify this stupidity. Please defend yourself.

you and i both know, this is the same kind of person who downs 34 energy drinks a day, knows of only two brands of cars (honda and toyota) and consequently thinks that they actually come with nitrous oxide built into them. this is also the person who sleeps safely in his alphabet one piece pajama zip up and a sippie cup on his nightstand, with a feeling of confidence because ninjas are watching over him in his peaceful slumber.

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

JooJoo wrote:I just think this thread was pretty inflammatory, even if not intended, so it just leads to 'you're wrong, i'm right' arguments.

actually it was intended, but i made it with the assumption that we're all adults here (or at least are capable of acting so) and have the ability to take criticism without throwing a fit.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Okay, this isn't productive at all now....if a thread like this is ever going to work it has to be taken in good humour but people are taking it too far and it's just getting insulting and needless. I'm considering reporting further posts.