Lets spread the word abot Criticker @Lifehacker

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: Lets spread the word abot Criticker @Lifehacker

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Jinni has won with their dirty pool. :roll:

astrakhan
0 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

I like Rotten Tomatoes, because it's very easy to get a quick global picture of what's hot and what's not right now. I don't think it panders to the studios; I've seen a lot of big movies with low low scores. But in general I think it works better for picking what to avoid, than what to see.

But I chose Criticker because I like to support the little guy.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

astrakhan wrote:I like Rotten Tomatoes, because it's very easy to get a quick global picture of what's hot and what's not right now. I don't think it panders to the studios; I've seen a lot of big movies with low low scores.

Of course it panders, because movie critics pander by their very nature! Don't kid yourself; if a reviewer writes too many negative articles, especially of the "big hitters", then the newspaper will drop that critic, and/or will have a hard time seeing new premieres.

For me, Rotten Tomatoes is fucking garbage, and only good for telling me what I already know; that a film that looks and sounds like shit probably is shit.

sengir
0 Ratings

Post by sengir »

Jinni is a nice service with an ultimate flaw that they refuse to fix even though people are asking it for ages
=> you can't eliminate already seen movies from your searches

Criticker is still by far the best service on the net for movie recommendations that I've used. Glad to be a supporting member (only thing I'd love to see added is the average PSI of the films in the database (like sometimes used in blog posts)

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Criticker is awesome. I don't use any other recommendation sites.

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

TheDenizen wrote:Criticker is awesome. I don't use any other recommendation sites.

Netflix is the only other good one, and that's because they let you watch movies.

astrakhan
0 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

ShogunRua wrote:For me, Rotten Tomatoes is fucking garbage, and only good for telling me what I already know; that a film that looks and sounds like shit probably is shit.

Well, I rather disagree; I find their scores to be consistently pretty accurate to my own opinion of a film I have seen, or my perception of the general public's opinion of a film I haven't seen. And because of that, I do bookmark its suggestions from time to time and allow it to influence my viewing. As for the integrity of the critics, I'd rather hear the opinions of 20 professional critics (even biased ones) than 100 IMDb users, because the critics are more likely to say something insightful or appreciate a film in the same way I might. But even on their aggregate scores alone, RT are doing a good job in my book.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

astrakhan wrote:As for the integrity of the critics, I'd rather hear the opinions of 20 professional critics (even biased ones) than 100 IMDb users,

Maybe, although that's still debatable.

But what can't be argued is that 10,000 IMDB users have vastly superior judgment than 20 idiot, worthless studio shills. ("Professionals" they're not)

It's one thing when a true professional like Scorsese talks about his informative, eloquent, and meaningful opinions about films, and quite another when a hack with shitty writing skills (a "critic") does so.