A Question for More Experienced Viewers...

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
JacoIII
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

A Question for More Experienced Viewers...

Post by JacoIII »

My profile says I've only seen 305 films, which isn't true (the real number is probably around 600+) but even if I were to rank every film I've ever seen I still wouldn't be in even the lower tiers of movie-watchers on Criticker.

However, even with relative inexperience, I've noticed that the more movies I watch and books I read the more cramped my creativity seems to become. It's like I only have a certain amount of room in my brain for stories and most weren't created by me. It may have something to do with my desire (and I would argue: EVERYONE'S desire) to produce something unique and creative. Even if it is just a matter of ego, it's still fairly annoying.

Recently, I've forgone watching movies because I've started doing stand-up comedy. I found that the more movies I watched, the less original material I would come up with.

Has anyone else noticed this?

tef
0 Ratings

Re: A Question for More Experienced Viewers...

Post by tef »

I suggest you watch Stewart Lee's standup. Check him out on Youtube. (Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle).

Also I have no desire to produce something unique and creative. I think you should take your problem up with Aristotle, as this is all his fault.

Lemmeaskyouthis, how much do you care about plot?

JacoIII
0 Ratings

Post by JacoIII »

tef wrote:I suggest you watch Stewart Lee's standup. Check him out on Youtube. (Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle).

He's been on my list for a while. I tend to listen to comedy on my iPod and haven't been able to find any of his albums. I guess I gotta do the YouTube thing.

In turn, let me recommend my two favourite comedians: Eugene Mirman and Paul F. Tompkins.

tef wrote:Lemmeaskyouthis, how much do you care about plot?

Do you mean in terms of originality or how compelling it is?

I think a film can get by on great writing and almost zero plot. On the other hand, most of my favourite films have great stories behind them. I guess I don't really know how I feel about 'plot'. It's a bit of an abstract question. What do you think about 'drama''?

astrakhan
0 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

As an obsessive film watcher, I haven't found that the quantity of films prevents me from coming up with original ideas about other things. But I do sometimes find that the more films I am watching, the less inclined I am to think deeply about all of them. Which is a shame in some ways.

It's a bit like being an addict; I'm constantly in search of my next fix of Tier 10 ecstasy, and any film I watch that doesn't measure up is forgotten very rapidly as I focus on what to see next. That's why I'm currently writing a mini-review for everything I see.

However, if I had some kind of creative brief to fulfill, I would probably take a break from movies for the duration, or cut down, to make sure my head (and my schedule) was clearer. I also think that the room in the brain and capacity for creativity are virtually limitless.

AAAutin
0 Ratings

Post by AAAutin »

To the contrary: one of the reasons I love film as an artistic medium is its potential to inspire; a single scene, a single line, a single frame has the capacity to send by brain spinning and spiraling into itself.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

No, it's the opposite for me; the more great literature and movies I consume, the more creative and rich my own ideas become.

tef
0 Ratings

Post by tef »

JacoIII wrote:
tef wrote:Lemmeaskyouthis, how much do you care about plot?

Do you mean in terms of originality or how compelling it is?

I think a film can get by on great writing and almost zero plot. On the other hand, most of my favourite films have great stories behind them. I guess I don't really know how I feel about 'plot'. It's a bit of an abstract question. What do you think about 'drama''?

Plot is more or less the events that occur in a story. So what I'm asking you is how much do you value the events vs. other things. (For example the characterization, or the sentence structure).

Me, personally, I don't give a shit about plot. If there is one, fine, if there isn't, fine. To come up with a new plot that isn't really just a rehashed version of something else is...not likely to occur, even if the events themselves are unique. Just because your stories may feature something unique, doesn't make the plot unique.

So what I'm saying is, it depends on how you're trying to innovate. If you want to innovate in every category, the odds get worse.

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Well I don't write stand up or comedy, but watching a diverse range of films has inspired me more, having been exposed to more and more of what is possible with film as a medium. But if anything, my experiences out in the world have inspired me more than watching films has; maybe it has to do with my preference towards writing drama but I think that going out and living certainly would help anyone with their creativity.

Also, innovation is important but a bit overrated as something to strive for. It's certainly nice to do new things, but often the first person to do something is so in awe of it that they don't know what to do with it, and it's those who come later than refine and perfect it.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Cramped? I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you mean.

prowler
10 Ratings

Post by prowler »

JacoIII wrote:
tef wrote:I suggest you watch Stewart Lee's standup. Check him out on Youtube. (Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle).

He's been on my list for a while. I tend to listen to comedy on my iPod and haven't been able to find any of his albums. I guess I gotta do the YouTube thing.

hell yea Stew's my favourite comedian, he doesn't really do CD's but he has some awesome live DVDs (90s comedian, if you prefer... are my faves). youtube maybe isn't the best place to start with him, his stuff is pretty long form. but you can't go wrong with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco
In turn, let me recommend my two favourite comedians: Eugene Mirman and Paul F. Tompkins.
haven't heard much of mirman but PFT is super :)