Who Do You Trust?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
TheDiceman
157 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Who Do You Trust?

Post by TheDiceman »

Greetings

I came across a member called RNG who is simply going alphabetically rating films and last I checked has seen 8000+ films.

There are several members rating films on this site I seriously doubt have seen half the films they claim. coughkangadoodoocoughdharmabumcough..

Now thats off my chest, the person I most trust and look for films he recommends that I havent seen is Darbicus ;)

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

I don't really put more trust in some users than others, but I'll go by whatever anyone high in my TCIs who writes a review says. I honestly can't set store by someones rating unless they've written at least something explaining said rating. I generally overlook scores without accompanying reviews.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Yoshiking wrote:I don't really put more trust in some users than others, but I'll go by whatever anyone high in my TCIs who writes a review says. I honestly can't set store by someones rating unless they've written at least something explaining said rating. I generally overlook scores without accompanying reviews.

Same, but it's not like I've written something for every movie I've ranked.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

TheDiceman wrote:I came across a member called RNG who is simply going alphabetically rating films and last I checked has seen 8000+ films.

I've never noticed this guy before, but yeah, he's full of shit. No way the same person gives both Captain Ron and Ugetsu Monogatari a score of 100.

TheDiceman wrote:There are several members rating films on this site I seriously doubt have seen half the films they claim. coughkangadoodoocoughdharmabumcough..

Look at how many shorts they're rating, though. Kangadoodoo is a little more suspicious, his age is listed as 21.

oread
0 Ratings

Post by oread »

My boyfriend actually has the best TCI for me, pretty convenient since we have quite a few in common, but still a few hundred that he's seen & I haven't (& vice versa)... great if I want a recommendation to see a movie alone.

I also don't write mini-reviews; my creative writing skills are very sub-par & I never can articulate why I liked or disliked a film. I have the same problem verbally when I'm recommending something to a friend.

Quicky
0 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

oread wrote:I also don't write mini-reviews; my creative writing skills are very sub-par & I never can articulate why I liked or disliked a film. I have the same problem verbally when I'm recommending something to a friend.

I would suggest you try nevertheless. If you don't know why you liked or disliked a film, then tell us what the film made you feel like or what it made you think about. Everybody should be able to answer this question. Ratatouille filled me with joy and happiness, Band of Brothers filled me with sadness, awe, and respect, La Haine made me think about all the hatred, racism and prejudices that are still present in the world, etc. If a film didn't make you feel like anything, then say so: "This film didn't touch me in anyway." Or if a film was just entertainment for you then say so: "Pure entertainment."

Other questions you could ponder about are: Did you like the story? Or was it mostly the visuals or the music that you liked? Did you like the way it was filmed? Was it too slow? Too fast? Did you like the acting?
Also read some other people's reviews of the film to find out what you think about what they thought and comment on that in your own review.

Maybe some other people can add some more questions you could ask yourself when reviewing a film?

sengir
0 Ratings

Post by sengir »

I find it a real challenge to find time to write mini-reviews. I gave it a go for three of my films, but it takes at least some time to write something worthwhile (and I also didn't receive a star for a long time so I kinda gave it up, seeing as I didn't feel people were reading them anyway). I might change my mind in the future though, but it's a challenge when you've rated as many films as I have.

Quicky
0 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

Well, honestly, I'm not even going to try to write mini-reviews for movies I've seen before I registered on Criticker (except maybe for my top 10 when I've got the time), but I do try to write them for every new movie I see.

Grit
0 Ratings

Post by Grit »

I write mini-reviews for my rankings as much as possible. I just feel it adds something to the rating, even if nobody really takes all that much notice of it.

That said not all my rankings have reviews attatched to them and some of the ones from when I signed up to this site only have a brief comment. I could do with going through them again I suppose, but I can't be bothered right now.

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Hells_Zargon wrote:I write mini-reviews for my rankings as much as possible. I just feel it adds something to the rating, even if nobody really takes all that much notice of it.

That said not all my rankings have reviews attatched to them and some of the ones from when I signed up to this site only have a brief comment. I could do with going through them again I suppose, but I can't be bothered right now.

Well, when it comes to individual users it's probably you I trust the most, probably because I know you a bit from before. Also you writes decent reviews. :) You're pretty high on my TCI list too.