Lifehacker polling favorite movie recommendation site.

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mwgerb
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Lifehacker polling favorite movie recommendation site.

Post by mwgerb »

Spunkie wrote:http://lifehacker.com/5884917/most-popular-movie-recommendation-service-rotten-tomatoes

I suppose it's true that it's the most popular recommendation service, but it's hardly the best. It helps that they've integrated their service with so many other websites, which means that almost everyone will see the Tomatometer score before they see the movie. But still, it's kind of disappointing that the winner of the poll doesn't have anything resembling personalized recommendations.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Oh on a note on using the other sites mentioned on that list. In addition to the issues with FlickChart and having to constantly rate the same movies over and over, you can add comments to individual match ups as well. Disturbia vs. There Will Be Blood was 3-2 in favor of Disturbia. Also the Dark Knight is the highest ranked movie there. That's enough of that website.

jal90
0 Ratings

Post by jal90 »

I use Criticker, IMDb and FilmAffinity. And each one has its advantages over the rest. That is, Criticker is the best site for recommendations with its improved system of tiers and TCIs, IMDb works better as a database as everything is there, and FilmAffinity is the best place for reviews (only available in the Spanish version, though) and user stats. So each one has their advantages and I alternate their use.

edkrak
132 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

abcdefgh wrote:IMDb works better as a database as everything is there,

Their database for American and European films is extremely impressive, but when it comes to other countries it's pretty scarce. I had to add tons of films there (and don't get me started at how annoying their film adding system is) just to be able to rate them at Criticker. They're missing thousands of Japanese films alone.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Yeah IMDb is a great resource, but it's by no means a complete database. Tons of stuff missing.

jal90
0 Ratings

Post by jal90 »

edkrak wrote:
abcdefgh wrote:IMDb works better as a database as everything is there,

Their database for American and European films is extremely impressive, but when it comes to other countries it's pretty scarce. I had to add tons of films there (and don't get me started at how annoying their film adding system is) just to be able to rate them at Criticker. They're missing thousands of Japanese films alone.

And I also miss lots of short films from recognized authors (for example Ivan Maksimov only has four in IMDb if I recall it well, Koji Yamamura has three/four too...), but it is still the most complete one, or at least the most complete I know.

jackshrack
0 Ratings

Post by jackshrack »

This is my first post on this site so hello everyone. I just wanted to add my two cents. I have for the past couple years been looking for a way to discover knew movies and for the most part have been pretty disappointed. None of the sites listed are perfect, but as one person pointed out a combination some times works. I started with movielense.org. And personally agree with the writer who said that it was the best. However, I also agree that their site is just too limited. I found quite a few Russian movies that I liked and then they ran out of movies. It's really too bad, because the predictions, I feel were the most accurate. Criticker is good but mostly gives me either avant garde, classic or obscure recommendations. While not at all bad, it doesn't seem to pinpoint my taste. But as I have pretty much went through the movielense database, I guess Criticker is the next best thing. I tried filmaffinity too, which is alright and they do have some tv shows on their but found criticker to recommend better movies. Jinni, is definitely the worst. But interestingly enough, I have found quite a few documentaries with it. So again I think a combo works the best. Sometimes you find stuff you weren't really looking for. Even though Imdb wasn't on the list, I found once again for animation they had some really good recommendations that I didn't find on any other sites. However, their film recommendations are generally hit or miss.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Someone mentioned that they thought Rotten Tomatoes was 'worthless'. I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that. RTomatoes is my 12th best TCI, so presumably Rotten Tomatoes is a better match to my tastes than 99.99(99...)% of the users on Criticker, and 100% of the regulars on this forum.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

nauru wrote:Someone mentioned that they thought Rotten Tomatoes was 'worthless'. I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that. RTomatoes is my 12th best TCI, so presumably Rotten Tomatoes is a better match to my tastes than 99.99(99...)% of the users on Criticker, and 100% of the regulars on this forum.

Worthless as a recommendation website, not as a website about whether people like movies or not (they are number 2 on my TCI). Criticker's use of RT's ratings as a recommendation is infinitely better than RT's own setup as far as actually recommending movies (which is what the poll was asking, best recommendation site). :D