What is your experience on the recommendations?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

What is your experience on the recommendations?

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I ranked 500 movies. I like basic guy movies like Braveheart or Gladiator. I also like basic comedies like Airplane or Groundhog day. The movie reccomendations I get are a bunch of foreign films and documentaries that I am confident are nothing like the movies I ranked highly.

Have others had a similar experience?

toro913
0 Ratings

Re: What is your experience on the recommendations?

Post by toro913 »

The system doesn't take genre or type of movie into consideration, only how high it is scored by the users of the site (more specifically the users that are closes in taste to you). So any movie that is highly liked has a good chance of being recommended to you. The thing is the people that don't like the kinds of movies you don't like, probably won't watch them, so their non-existent negative score for that movie can't be counted towards the recommendations. Your best bet is to filter by genre and country, to better fit whatever criteria of movie your searching for.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Yeah, what he said. I have ranked 2800+ films and when it comes to mainstream releases Criticker is usually within 5 points (on a 100 scale) of what I would give the film. There are always exceptions. After using RT and a few other sites that just uses mass averages this site was a dream come true. Now and again I even try some of the foreign or art films it highly recommends and although I may not give them tier 10;s, they usually are not disappointing.

afx237vi
0 Ratings

Post by afx237vi »

qwerty3656 wrote:I ranked 500 movies. I like basic guy movies like Braveheart or Gladiator. I also like basic comedies like Airplane or Groundhog day. The movie reccomendations I get are a bunch of foreign films and documentaries that I am confident are nothing like the movies I ranked highly.

Have others had a similar experience?

Yeah this is quite similar to me. When I go to the Explore > Recommendations page, I generally get a lot of obscure European films. I have no doubt the PSIs for those films are accurate, but the chances of me seeking them out to watch are quite slim.

This is what I do instead -

1. Check out the TV listings, cinema listings, browse DVDs online, pick out films I might want to watch, then enter them into Criticker to see what the PSI is.

2. Use your high TCIs to browse their rankings, using the filters to narrow down the type of film you like.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Another idea is to actually try something different and who knows, maybe you'll like it.

Zozan
0 Ratings

Post by Zozan »

Also valid for me. Criticker is pretty good at guessing the score I would give. But those recommendations.. They are sort of irrelevant.

I am more of a Action, Thriller, Martial Arts, Fiction, Animation etc. sort of guy. Documentaries, musicals, horrors, dramas.. they are not my game. I generally prefer to watch a subpar action movie then a horror classic. I generally prefer to watch new movies rather than the old ones.Generally avoid 3+ hour movies, or shorts. Also favor known movies to obscures etc. Not sure what else I take into consideration but it is clear that It is not PSI alone.

And the recommendation page is mostly based on PSI I believe. That is why I usually go with the database searches or collections or the dvd release blogs.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

FitFortDanga wrote:Another idea is to actually try something different and who knows, maybe you'll like it.

:lol:

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

FitFortDanga wrote:Another idea is to actually try something different and who knows, maybe you'll like it.

I don't need another web site to find a list of pretentious movies. I've seen way too many bad movies that the critics loved. I was under the impression this site would find movies like the ones I rated highly.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

qwerty3656 wrote:I was under the impression this site would find movies like the ones I rated highly.

Nope.

This site finds movies that other people (with similar tastes to yours, based on your common rankings) have rated highly.

A slight but significant difference.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

qwerty3656 wrote:I was under the impression this site would find movies like the ones I rated highly.

Nope.

This site finds movies that other people (with similar tastes to yours, based on your common rankings) have rated highly.

A slight but significant difference.