Critical Viewing

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
paulofilmo
5 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Critical Viewing

Post by paulofilmo »

I'm having increasing difficulty 'getting lost' in a film lately. I wondered if any of you have a hard time getting fully engrossed in the films that you watch?

I wasn't sure if it was personality development; acquiring traits of an over over-analytical mind, but I find myself reviewing separate parts of a film (score; set design; props/costume; acting; directing; script etc.) instead of seeing a movie as a whole. Is this me being knit-picky, or are the films not up to my standards of cohesion?

On the other hand, if a script, character, or look of a film is interesting enough, I can become sufficiently engrossed in order to overlook other mistakes. But, of course, PSIs and IMDb ratings will rarely reflect this. Also, these films are usually ones with themes that have personal interest, and that I often consider underrated because of this.

td888
0 Ratings

Re: Critical Viewing

Post by td888 »

I've exactly the same problem. As soon as I'm getting bored watching a movie, I start paying attention to 'technical' aspects, like costumes, settings, directing, etc...

Also, I noticed it's not a good sign when I start looking at my player for the time elapsed (usually 30 minutes) and guessing when the film'll be finished... I found an option on my player to 'dim' the display so it's not visible anymore, but it's strange I need to do this, because it means I'm not immersed in the movie

But, films that stick to mind for 'getting lost':
City of god
Apocalypto
Human trafficking
Matrix
Lyla 4-ever
Goodbye, Lenin

AFlickering
289 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

In some ways I'm the opposite of what you describe. I have no notion of technical quality isolated from the whole, as far as I'm concerned there's no such thing - I'm always primarily considering the film's central thematic/emotional/whatever thrust and then considering its various elements in terms of how they contribute to that. I've always been good with the big picture and bad with the details, maybe that's got something to do with it.

I don't really understand the idea that analysis can detract from enjoyment. As I've mentioned before around here I personally analyse my own experience of the film, rather than the film's elements based on some arbitrary system of quality, and so all the analysing does is give me reasons for why I'm loving or not enjoying my experience. It's a way of explaining my own mind to myself, and that without fail excites me - maybe that's just me, I don't know.

I will say that it takes a lot to suck me in though, not because I'm concentrating too hard on analysis but because with the more films/ideas/etc I experience the more it takes to wow me. That doesn't bother me at all, I see it as a good thing, a sign that I'm becoming a more challenging viewer to please. As far as I'm concerned, the very best films will really light me up regardless of how analytical I've become - it's interesting for me to wonder how many of my current favourites will still be up there in 10, 20 years time, but I also don't doubt that such films do exist.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

This isn't really what I ask of a film. Well, maybe sometimes. I don't want to be analysing and considering; I want to be experiencing, with perhaps only my subconscious working away at anything latently didactic. The problem is that, perhaps with the self-invoked onslaught of movie websites, I am reviewing films whilst I'm watching them, using my cloudy intuitive nature to analyse them instead of my senses feel them in the present.

'arbitrary system of quality' - I think I have tapped in to this as a way of delving into my love of deconstructing something that affects me viscerally. Perhaps my desire to understand what profoundly moves me has prevented me from being profoundly moved. I think I have done this for music too.

I'm hoping it's just a phase as I am in a bit of a rut in life, also. Or perhaps that more complex films will be more accessible as I acquire wisdom's muscle memory to subconsciously appreciate interesting ideas whilst simultaneously being immersed in a film's mood.

td888 wrote:Also, I noticed it's not a good sign when I start looking at my player for the time elapsed (usually 30 minutes) and guessing when the film'll be finished... I found an option on my player to 'dim' the display so it's not visible anymore, but it's strange I need to do this, because it means I'm not immersed in the movie

+1
Although, I find it helps if I make sure I have nothing else on my mind. Escapism is tricky when obligations and niggles are chasing you. I find that if I'm waiting for an advertising break; I should probably just stop watching.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I've had varying levels of success at telling my brain's running commentary to shut up during a film, recently. Although, I hate that it's a conscious effort.