Stand out final lines in a film?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Stewball
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Stand out final lines in a film?

Post by Stewball »

"Mein Führer, I can walk!"--Dr. Strangelove

"Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona."--L.A. Confidential

"Surprise me!"--Ratatouille

"Vanity - definitely my favorite sin."--Devil's Advocate

"(*Sigh*)"- Her

"I have what I want"--Hateship, Loveship
Last edited by Stewball on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dorkovsky
836 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

"Fuck"

[spoiler]Eyes Wide Shut[/spoiler]

"Okay"

[spoiler]Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind[/spoiler]

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

My absolute final fav line is from The Usual Suspects, I think I like the line more than the movie itself now: "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone."

And here is a nice visual collection which includes some of the quotes already posted http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/ ... -161-voted

Massey23
0 Ratings

Post by Massey23 »

"Oh no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was beauty killed the beast." (When King Kong is being shot down on top of the Empire state building).

"And oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home." (The Wizard of Oz)

And last but not the least, the best one till date:
"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?" (Stand By Me)

Neonman
0 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

I don't know why, but "How disgusting" from End of Evangelion seemed like a perfect way to end that movie/series.

kyle.loomis wrote:"Okay"

[spoiler]Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind[/spoiler]

I thought that was gonna be The Departed. Every time I watched that movie, that last word sounds different.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

3dRevelation wrote:"I'm finished"- There Will Be Blood

Yep, this one.

On a related note, having watched Dr. Strangelove yesterday, the ending was awful, as was the last line. (I don't care how memorable it is)

3dRevelation
0 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

ShogunRua wrote:

Yep, this one.

On a related note, having watched Dr. Strangelove yesterday, the ending was awful, as was the last line. (I don't care how memorable it is)

So you finally got to There Will Be Blood. I can tell that you liked it by your mini-review. Not only does it have a great final line, but it's got some other memorable lines as well. I actually deleted my first criticker account so that I could change my name to 3rdRevelation only to be disappointed when I found out it was too long.

Now, you should set your sights on Paul Thomas Anderson's other work. Magnolia is actually my favorite by him (although I love TWBB), but your opinion of that would probably depend on how much you like films that are a little melodramatic. I think you'd probably like Boogie Nights.

Speaking of Boogie Nights, it's final line should probably also be on this list:
"I am a star. I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star. I am a big, bright, shining star. That's right. "

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

3dRevelation wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:

Yep, this one.

So you finally got to There Will Be Blood. I can tell that you liked it by your mini-review.

Even beyond the effusive mini-review, I gave it a score of 90. I have only given 27 movies a score of 90 or higher (8 at 90, 19 higher), so it's in my top 1%.

3dRevelation wrote:Now, you should set your sights on Paul Thomas Anderson's other work. Magnolia is actually my favorite by him (although I love TWBB), but your opinion of that would probably depend on how much you like films that are a little melodramatic. I think you'd probably like Boogie Nights.

Speaking of Boogie Nights, it's final line should probably also be on this list:
"I am a star. I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star. I am a big, bright, shining star. That's right. "

Indeed, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of PTA's work. Honestly, Magnolia doesn't enthuse me too much (although I will check it out anyways), but Boogie Nights looks like great fun.

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

ShogunRua wrote:Indeed, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of PTA's work. Honestly, Magnolia doesn't enthuse me too much (although I will check it out anyways), but Boogie Nights looks like great fun.

Boogie Nights is special because it succeeds on several different emotional levels. I think it's really hard for a movie to be both hilarious and dramatic. Not only does it do those successfully, it's also incredibly fun, interesting, thoughtful, and technically pleasing. That said, it's a very, very different movie from There Will Be Blood. Hopefully you'll find it as satisfying, though.

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Boogie Night's final line deserves to be here as well: "I am a star. I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star. I am a big, bright, shining star. That's right."

Also:
Neonman wrote:I don't know why, but "How disgusting" from End of Evangelion seemed like a perfect way to end that movie/series.

Seconding this.