Canvassing opinions on TV series

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Spanks
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Canvassing opinions on TV series

Post by Spanks »

ShogunRua wrote:
Still have yet to watch "Cannibal! The Musical"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iqtP0fR07M

It's well worth your time. Oh, and the actual movie starts about 2:30 in.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

jmarkthespot wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:
Still have yet to watch "Cannibal! The Musical"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iqtP0fR07M

It's well worth your time. Oh, and the actual movie starts about 2:30 in.

Thanks a bunch, man! Really appreciate the link.

On topic, I watched the pilot episode of Breaking Bad. It was okay, nothing special yet. The most enjoyable aspect was probably remembering my experimental chemistry class in university. Will watch a few more episodes and re-assess.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Just finished Fawlty Towers. A truly hilarious, all-time great series. Thanks again, movieboy.

While I rate it a smidge below Keeping Up Appearances and Black Adder among my absolute favorites, it's unquestionably a comedy classic. Consistently outstanding episodes.

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

ShogunRua wrote:Just finished Fawlty Towers. A truly hilarious, all-time great series. Thanks again, movieboy.

While I rate it a smidge below Keeping Up Appearances and Black Adder among my absolute favorites, it's unquestionably a comedy classic. Consistently outstanding episodes.

I am surprised you like these British series. They are my favorites as well, but why you rate Keeping Up Appearances higher than Fawlty Towers?

Anyway, maybe you might like Dad's Army as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dad%27s_Army

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

td888 wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:Just finished Fawlty Towers. A truly hilarious, all-time great series. Thanks again, movieboy.

I am surprised you like these British series. They are my favorites as well, but why you rate Keeping Up Appearances higher than Fawlty Towers?

It makes me laugh a bit more. As brilliant as John Cleese is in playing Basil Fawlty, he is not quite as amazing as Patricia Routledge in the role of Hyacinth Bucket. And while I love the side characters in Fawlty Towers (Polly, Manuel, the old Major), the ones in Keeping Up Appearances are even good enough to launch a hilarious spin-off. (Onslow, Daisy, Rose, Emmett, and Elizabeth are all magnificent)

Both are fantastic comedy gems, but KUA is just slightly better.

td888 wrote:Anyway, maybe you might like Dad's Army as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dad%27s_Army

Looks amusing! Thanks for the recommendation.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

After watching four episodes of Breaking Bad, I'm on the verge of dropping it. Aside from some laughably ignorant chemistry in episode 2,

[spoiler]For a series that leans so heavily on chemistry, it was annoying they referred to hydrofluoric as a "strong acid", when it's actually a weak acid. In fact, what makes it so dangerous isn't the H+ ion (the acid part), but that pesky F- ion, which reacts with the calcium in one's blood, and stops the heart.

And HF dissolving through a bathtub and the floor is just laughable. Maybe if you had some industrial-strength hydrochloric or sulfuric (both strong acids, and I'm talking like 40 molar), but even then, I doubt it. However, there is no way they would even have industrial strength acids in a high school chemistry lab (the strongest is usually up to about 6 molar), and besides, Walter is only using hydrofluoric acid.[/spoiler]

More than anything, I hate the show's reliance on broad stereotypes of affluent suburban whites. And it would be one thing if it were funny and accurate, but most of it is lazy TV show fantasy. There is Walter's neurotic, bitchy sister-in-law, who shoplifts shoes despite being married to a narc agent. (A TV show fantasy; I have never seen an older white woman shoplift in my life) There is the loud, annoying white business asshole bragging about all the money he is making. Jesse is the wigger with a secret good side. Skylar is the typical concerned mother. Holy fuck are they all boring and predictable.

In episode 4, when the housekeeper discovers a blunt in the Pinkman household in Jesse's room, I just knew that his uptight parents would kick him out, and that it would actually be their golden child's pot, not his. Sure enough, that was the case. Nevermind that every academically gifted person I know that smoked pot began late in high school or in college. The guys who started at 11, like that kid, were the loser fuck-ups.

I will give it one more episode.

karamazov.
51 Ratings

Post by karamazov. »

djross wrote:

Boardwalk Empire
    Breaking Bad
    Deadwood
    Mad Men
    The Wire

[bump].

@djross: I'd be interested to know if you've seen any of these since posting this, and your thoughts if so.

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Don't hold your breath, I don't think djross lives in the forums any more. Not sure if he posted much after this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4205&p=41609&hilit=djross#p41609

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

True Detective and Hannibal are worth a go. Former redolent of TPeaks. Latter is gorgeous, with so much care paid to the art direction.

I'm fully enmeshed with The Wire. It should be on the curriculum.
Didn't get The Sopranos until the thundery rat, will she sleep with the pastor episode.
Walking Dead is so much fun for primal vegetable escapism. On a similar note, I watched a play-through of The Last of Us (videogame), and recommend it (generally).

Animation: so much affection for Bob's Burgers and Adventure Time.

Should I be watching Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, Penny Dreadful, True Blood, Vikings?

karamazov.
51 Ratings

Post by karamazov. »

bercutio wrote:Don't hold your breath, I don't think djross lives in the forums any more. Not sure if he posted much after this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4205&p=41609&hilit=djross#p41609

Er, ok. Got a pm. Thanks for the heads up, I guess.

paulofilmo wrote:The Wire.

Fuck yes.