Recommendations for deep meaningful movies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
FTWS
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Recommendations for deep meaningful movies

Post by FTWS »

I like really deep movies that express lots of meaning in them. A lot of the movies I watch are spiritual, but don't necessarily need to be. Here are some of my favorite movies purely in alphabetical order:

Crash (2004)
Donnie Darko (2001)
Fight Club (1999)
The Illusionist (2006)
Memento (2001)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
Peaceful Warrior (2006)
Vanilla Sky (2001)
Waking Life (2001)
What Dreams May Come (1998)
What the #$*! Do We Know?! (2004)

KGB
0 Ratings

Re: Recommendations for deep meaningful movies

Post by KGB »

'What the #$*! Do We Know?!' is a deep meaningful film? Yeah, and so is 'Double Dragon' [hint: both the film are stupendously as dull as ditchwater].

Bojangles
0 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

The Thin Red Line

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Nice list, FTWS. I know Crash often gets a bashing, but I definitely felt the rescue, which is very rare for me nowadays.

I had a similar reaction to The Green Mile, and strongly recommend it if you haven't seen it.
I'll try to think of some more.

Oh, and welcome to Criticker! :)

AFlickering
288 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

i despise crash with all of my being. also how on earth is the illusionist deep and meaningful :|

i can't really make recs here 'cause all my favourite films are "deep and meaningful" to me

FTWS
0 Ratings

Post by FTWS »

How about not replying if you have absolutely nothing to say except the fact that you like different types of movies. I do not give a shit whether you like those movies or not, and if you don't what is the point of answering. What the bleep was very meaningful to me, and I'm sure it was very dull for someone who likes to watch movies with absolutely no substance and make you feel no emotion. If I was interested in dumb action movies or another romantic comedy I'd go look at today's popular movies. But I'm not. Obviously, I like movies that most people don't. So if you fit into that category, then you're doing nothing but wasting mine and your own time by replying.

Sorry about that, thank you for the suggestions from the other users I will be sure to watch those as soon as I get a chance.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

FTWS doesn't need to justify himself, nor is he overtly inviting judgment. I know it's a forum and all is open for criticism, but attacking someone's tastes is uncivil, likely nonconstructive and possibly hurtful.

Anyway, as this is a recommendations thread, it seems you like films with what you interpret as having philosophical/spiritual themes. Here's a few pages I stumbled upon that might give more ideas.

http://www.philfilms.utm.edu/2/filmlist.htm
http://www.philfilms.utm.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:P ... ical_films

Hopefully you'll get some more recommendations that adhere to your initial suggestions.
Let us know how you get on.
paul.

AFlickering
288 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

FTWS wrote:Obviously, I like movies that most people don't. So if you fit into that category, then you're doing nothing but wasting mine and your own time by replying.

actually you like movies that most people do, don't kid yourself mate. suggesting i like movies with no substance makes you a jackass so i dunno why i should contribute to this thread - it was a genuine question though: what makes the illusionist deep and meaningful?

if you like "no country" you may well like the upcoming adaptations of "the road" and "blood meridian". "the prestige" is like a better version of "the illusionist". i suspect you'd also like "se7en", "25th hour", "blade runner" and "grave of the fireflies" to name a few.

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

FTWS wrote:I like really deep movies that express lots of meaning in them. A lot of the movies I watch are spiritual, but don't necessarily need to be. Here are some of my favorite movies purely in alphabetical order

Some? These are your ONLY ranked movies. maybe you should rank some more movies before you start blabbing about your exquisite taste.

Quicky
0 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

It seems somewhere along the road of this thread people's feelings got hurt, which was neither desired, nor constructive.

Everyone is entitled to their taste, especially on a site like Criticker where it's all about taste and bringing people together with similar tastes. What is deep and meaningful to one person is cheap rubbish to someone else and vice versa. Let's be constructive here and recommend some movies to FTWS that are similar to the ones he likes.

However, FTWS, you seriously need to rate some more movies if you want to get the most out of the Criticker system. The system needs to know both which movies you like and which movies you don't. So take the time to rate more movies and try not to only rate the ones you like. Criticker needs to know which movies you don't like as well. In about an hour you should have been able to rate about a hundred or more.

You could try searching on IMDB for movies with specific keywords like surrealism, morality, etc. [EDIT]: Never mind this... paulofilmo's urls are much more useful I think. Nice list!