Criticker MOM - August 2014

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mattorama12
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Criticker MOM - August 2014

Post by mattorama12 »

Hopscotch wrote:
hellboy76 wrote:Makes sense, I think everyone can agree it wasn't a clear message. Maybe that was the message, since so much of almost all religions are unclear anyways. SEE , I am contributing! That sounded kinda smart right? Guys?

I think it was more an examination of the way people choose to represent or utilize their faith (genuine or not), and the effect it has on others. This film does a particularly good job of this when we are shown the effects the ulterior motives of the Spanish have on Alvar. As a side note I would also like to mention that the language barrier as a mirror to the religious barrier was fantastic! I'm starting to get a better sense of the theme I think, but it is hard to articulate.

Agreed with you both here. One of the strengths of the film was plunging us into this confusion the way de Vaca was plunged into this strange new world.

Hopscotch wrote:[spoiler]My line of thinking went something like this: Alvar's faith, as well as his perception of what a Christian is, is shaken right from the start. Within the first few minutes his Captain abandons him at sea (not cool), and upon landing he discovers his companions murdered in horrific fashion (is this hell?). Things get worse when the priest proceeds to burn his former shipmate's corpses. I don't know how familiar you all are with the Catholic faith, but that's a huge deal! Alvar had reason to feel betrayed. Long before they are reduced to ash, Alvar and the mourners are ambushed. Some are taken prisoner, but most get killed. One thing I want to mention at this point is how strikingly similar the image of the priest walking into the forest, full of arrows, and holding up his crucifix was to the final sequence. The contradicting symbols of martyrdom (possibly anyways, that priest was a bit off his rocker by that point though) and religious oppression made for an interesting comparison. Anyways, following his detainment de Vaca somehow manages (the narrative at this point was hard to follow) to survive by becoming a sort of slave/shaman assistant to a native mystic and a human torso. It is with them that de Vaca begins to have his revelations.

The first and most significant I think was that if Alvar truly believed in God, he had to accept these people as a part of his creation. He had to accept them as brothers. Upon doing so he becomes something of a spiritualist or mystic. He develops some serious powers, shocking the men who follow him! As he gets farther and farther from the church his love is able to manifest itself more clearly.

The second revelation was simply that the spirit is the spirit regardless. At the end he even says something along the lines that both the native's and the Spaniard's God are one in the same. This of course is highly controversial and is met with no response really. Of course the missionary spirit of the conquistadors was far from genuine so it's no wonder they wouldn't receive it.

In the end the most telling scene for me was when the evidence of an impending reunion with Spain essentially crushed de Vaca. After spending years in the wilderness living his strange mixed faith, he is brought back to the reality of things when he realizes there will be no way to reconcile his revelations. His friends will lie, and the Spanish will take advantage.[/spoiler]

Great analysis. I think you're spot on and I think it's helped me appreciate this film a bit more.