When Criticker guesses wrong

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: When Criticker guesses wrong

Post by MmzHrrdb »

The Movie where the PSI was the most wrong is "Live Free or Die (2006)" for me.
The PSI was 7 ( i use the whole scala from 1-100), so it told me crap stay away.
I watched the Movie and gave it a 84.
Pretty funny and clever Comedy i laughed multiple times during the Movie.

Jeb
0 Ratings

Post by Jeb »

Criticker predicted I would give " Never Back Down " a 30, I gave it a 70. I don't know why, but it sucked me in.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Most of my high PSIs are out. Of 28 or so films that I've seen with a PSI higher than 80, two of them I've given a score higher than 80. Lol, I'm such an awkward reviewer. It's why I rely so much on Kumpels.

You'll see what I mean from these. Please don't comment on the ratings; I'm a very subjective reviewer.

The median PSI of my Wishlist is likely around 76.

Jeb
0 Ratings

Post by Jeb »

Conan The Destroyer - Criticker predicted 19, I gave it a 75.

Good old cheesy fun! :)

prowler
10 Ratings

Post by prowler »

yeah why do people hate conan? i've only seen conan the barbarian and it kicked ass

Ranald
0 Ratings

Post by Ranald »

My biggest gaps are

In The Mood for Love: Predicted 70, gave it 20 (bored me to tears; my wife liked it though and we almost always agree about movies, so perhaps that reaction really is just a personal quirk of mine)
Control: Predicted 75, gave it 30 (A dreary experience with a selfish, shallow protagonist. The music was pretty good though)
Volver: Predicted 75, gave it 40 (Just didn't get it into it though it's technically fine)
Downfall: Predicted 75, gave it 40 (The main actor is stellar, but everything else is cliched and ham-fisted)

The Criticker underestimates are much less common and less large when they happen. The biggest one I can see is Kung Fu Hustle, which was predicted at a perfectly respectable 75, but I gave it 95. Love that movie.

Stain
0 Ratings

Post by Stain »

-BigEvil- wrote:Who doesn't like Star Wars? :|

Harlan Ellison. He has a very funny and insightful essay in Harlan Ellison's Watching entitled "Luke Skywalker is a Nerd and Darth Vader Sucks Runny Eggs".

Stain
0 Ratings

Post by Stain »

I have seen a total of four titles because Criticker recommended them to me. Here's three of them:

FLCL: My PSI, 96; My actual rating: 50
Tenacious D -- The Complete Masterworks: My PSI, 90; My actual rating: 0
Eddie Izzard -- Dress to Kill: My PSI, 96; My actual rating: 0

And you guys think 40 is a big gap. :) Some of the other recommendations of films I'd already seen were also pretty off, so I haven't actually followed any recommendation given to me by this site for almost a year.

Why am I still on this site, and why do I still regularly rank films, then? Well, very simple: I've been experimenting with personal opinion predictors on the Internet since practically before there was a web. (Anybody else remember when "The Movie Critic" was something into which you had to telnet? That was way back in 1995.) This and http://www.sourcelight.com are the two such sites I have discovered that IMHO aren't really that good now, but which I think will be good in the future. Insofar as I know, this is the only such site where the users can add films themselves (albeit subject to moderation), and said submissions are not subject to goofy restrictions. (There's one I used to be on that kept raising the limit on the number of votes a given movie had to have in the IMDb to be worth their time to add, and then they stopped adding new releases all together. Those guys can go to hell.) What's more, as this site continues to get favorable press and improve its features, and as the positive word of mouth continues to spread, more and more users will get accounts here, and the collaborative-filtering mechanisms will work better and better.

How do I choose films now? Believe it or not, a lower-tech semi-intuitive method I devised over a decade ago -- following my favorite directors, while using the Internet word of mouth on their works as kind of a counterbalancing reality check -- works a hell of a lot better than any contraption I have discovered.

I just still report my ratings here religiously. Not to mention all the obscure films I add. :)

prowler
10 Ratings

Post by prowler »

haha stain your TCI with me is pretty low but i still think your ratings are interesting albeit sometimes fucked up :)

and how do you discover new directors?

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Stain wrote:This and http://www.sourcelight.com are the two such sites I have discovered that IMHO aren't really that good now, but which I think will be good in the future. Insofar as I know, this is the only such site where the users can add films themselves (albeit subject to moderation), and said submissions are not subject to goofy restrictions. (There's one I used to be on that kept raising the limit on the number of votes a given movie had to have in the IMDb to be worth their time to add, and then they stopped adding new releases all together. Those guys can go to hell.) What's more, as this site continues to get favorable press and improve its features, and as the positive word of mouth continues to spread, more and more users will get accounts here, and the collaborative-filtering mechanisms will work better and better.

I just tried out Sourcelight. While it might be good as a recommendation generating machine, the other aspects of the site are terrible. It has no personality, it's slow, and there's zero sense of community. I have yet to find anything that beats Criticker.