Ten Truly Underrated Sci-Fi Movies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
whatismyname
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Ten Truly Underrated Sci-Fi Movies

Post by whatismyname »

http://www.movieretriever.com/blog/edit ... -Fi-Movies

I just watched Primer last night and am glad I saw this list. I'll watch it at least once more so I can (hopefully) understand what happened thoroughly. The only other movie I've seen on this list is Gattaca (although I wouldn't really call that an underrated movie).

I haven't seen Aeon Flux, and I'm not sure if I will, so I can't really say for certain, but it just seems out of place.

What movies have you seen on this list, and do you agree with them?

Spunkie
196 Ratings

Re: Ten Truly Underrated Sci-Fi Movies

Post by Spunkie »

Some I went through.
Aeon Flux is garbage imo, watch the original animation if you are eager about it. That was too weird for it's own sake, but quite unique. Body snatchers is so-so, watchable, nothing spectacular.
One thing Tron can be called is over-rated, not under-rated. It's one of the most beloved movies of 80ies, not every movie of its caliber has this large fan base, I like it also :).
Sleeper should have been real good, but Allen hasn't flourished to his full bloom since then, a coupla laughs and ideas to catch there though.
Existenz is basically on the same floor with 13th floor and Matrix. But it's actually a rehash of Cronenberg's own Videodrome this time on virtual reality console. It gets mediocre most of the time, the characters are cartoony, that's why it sank I guess. Quite watchable.
Rest I didn't watch, except Gattaca. I saw a Boy and His Dog praised also, might be worth a look.
The Man From Earth from last year would be one the neatest addition to your list. Can't say it's underrated, for a movie extremely low budget and cinematically not much involving it got quite a well reception by many. In a few years it'll quickly turn into cult.

Browncoat
0 Ratings

Post by Browncoat »

How is crap like "Aeon Flux" on here, yet "Serenity" is ommitted.

That said, I might be a tad biased. (Ignore my screenname).

Voltaire53
0 Ratings

Post by Voltaire53 »

Browncoat wrote:How is crap like "Aeon Flux" on here, yet "Serenity" is ommitted.

To be fair I would say it was because everyone (well everyone I know, who's at all an SF fan) says Serenity is great, and it has a very high IMDb average of 8.0, so it's hardly underrated!