Overrated films

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Dorkovsky
836 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Overrated films

Post by Dorkovsky »

KGB wrote:'The Searchers' is the most overrated film ever. I have no idea what it is praised as one of the greatest films ever made by everyone.

This. I have heard more people vocalize that this movie sucks and is overrated (myself included) but I have never heard any reasons why it was good, other than its influence on later westerns. It is just an example of "if so and so didn't do it, than someone else would have"

Ford may have done these things first, but he didn't do them right.

sengir
0 Ratings

Post by sengir »

Spunkie wrote:Yay, either I'm missing the whole point or we have seen this over and over in every aspect. I'm not just talking about the obvious references to scifi movies or the short circuited wall-e design, but the whole story in general. Even the belittled as too light&cute Monsters Inc. was far more innovative than Wall-E. Nice mise-en-scenes here and there, some funny moments, top notch animation quality, but that's it. A masterpiece generates a wave that other movies later revolve around and/or stands unique at the least, does Wall-E achieve a portion of this, I don't think so.

Exactly :)

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

I can't see how Wall-E is overrated in any way.. In my eyes it's an incredible film. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, it's just a damn good film that's thoroughly enjoyable on every level in a way that I've never seen before in animation. Somehow I've grown out of animated movies completely, and I really haven't enjoyed an animated film since I was.. about 15. The ones I've seen again after that have been disappointing, but Wall-E I thoroughly enjoyed. I think that at least makes it somewhat special, and noone's gonna tell me it's not an incredibly charming and touching film. :P

sengir
0 Ratings

Post by sengir »

Yoshiking, I just checked your ratings and see you haven't explored the Japanese animations (Studio Gibhli and the such). I highly recommend checking those out (Princes Monoke, Spirited Away, The Castle In The Sky,...) along with Millenium Actress, Grave Of the Fireflies (my personal animation favorite). It might give you a good view of what else is out there expect Pixar/Disney and the likes.

And I don't protest the fact that Wall-E is a well-made animation film (hell, it's T9 in my own list), I just don't call it a masterpiece like it's being hailed by a lot of critics (for much of the reasons Spunkie stated). The best part of the movie is it's social satire to me, but merely the fact that an animation does this seems to generate the title masterpiece (and having seen a lot of world animation I find other, in the end more daring films a lot more worthy of that title).

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Well, the reason for my lack of having watched Japanese animation is that.. I just don't have any interest in animation in general. The animation stuff I've ranked is stuff I've either seen as a kid or things I've watched because my younger siblings have watched it, and thus most of it is Disney/Pixar. Wall-E I've anticipated for quite a long time, and it didn't disappoint me.

As far as Japanese animation goes all I can brag about having seen is the short Cat Soup, which I did really enjoy (mainly for it's awesome absurdity). I've also tried watching some anime (namely Cowboy Bebop), and even though I can recognize that it's good I just don't.. enjoy it somehow. Dunno, animation isn't really for me most of the time.

Anyway, I know I need to see Princess Monoke and those others you mention, and have been planning to for a while. I just suck at prioritizing what movies I should watch.

sengir
0 Ratings

Post by sengir »

The most 'adult' of the animations I mentioned are 'Grave and the fireflies' & 'Millenium Actress', I would definitely recommend those if you don't really like animation in general. 'Paprika' (haven't seen it myself) is more in the line of cat soup I think (someone who's seen both can correct me if I'm wrong :p)

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

sengir wrote:'Millenium Actress'

I haven't seen this. Ta for the recommendation, sengir.

Spunkie
196 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Cap Soup is totally surreal, enjoyable little piece. Paprika is not much like it, even it's about dreams Kon presents it in a logical fashion, I mean through it's own engine. I like it since I dig Kon easily, but Millenium Actress is easier to get through for most. His masterpiece in my opinion is his mini tv series: Paranoia Agent (13 eps). Back to topic xD.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Ghost in the Shell > all other anime movies.

sengir
0 Ratings

Post by sengir »

Never really got that much into Ghost In The Shell emotionally, although I did appreciate it.

And thanks for the heads up Spunkie, I'll make a note of it (switches off animation mode :p) !