What is the last film you watched?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
sebby
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

What is the last film you watched?

Post by sebby »

And what is your opinion of it?

I tackled 2 talkies the other day...

Hard Eight

Rated 60. I found it intriguing to begin with, but it ultimately floundered and lost a lot of its bite by the end, when it conceivably should have gotten sharper given the events that transpired. It works as a talkative, mysterious character piece, but not as anything else. PTA's weakest work by far.

Frost/Nixon

Rated 45. It's just too goddamn slick and simple for me. Ron Howard should stuck to narrating TV shows and siring red-headed daughters; it's the only thing he really does well. Having Nixon make off-the-cuff racist, prudish, homophobic, and money-grubbing comments did little to provoke insight into the man's character -- it was just a cheap ploy to make him appear unlikable, something that should not have needed doing. Bleh.

MmzHrrdb

Re: What is the last film you watched?

Post by MmzHrrdb »

"The Others"- 96

So unnervingly terrifying. Brilliant film, and the features the best performance Nicole Kidman has ever given.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

The Steel Helmet (1951, Samuel Fuller) - Gave it an 83. Mini-Review: "Fuller delivers a gritty, socially conscious war film. Short, but sweet. Gene Evans is great as the cynical, sarcastic, and stubborn Sergeant. Highlights are a sniper episode in a foggy jungle and a game of cat-and-mouse throughout the Buddhist temple."

I've only seen the first three of Fuller's films, and this is the best one so far. I'm starting to see what people are talking about when they call his films "brash," and this is the first time he tackles social controversy, something he became known for later on. I really want to see Shock Corridor and White Dog now.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

As if by magic.. My recent rankings

I watched La Promesse and Conspiracy, tonight.

Has anyone who's seen a few Dardenne films got a favourite? The Son is mine at the moment, which I really enjoyed. I've also seen L'Enfant (which I wasn't so fond of). La Promesse sort of exists in between them. Perhaps it's just an aversion to Jérémie Renier. My review was rubbish, but I'm still basking in Silent Light.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

*Clicks my own profile*

(useless thread alert)

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Pickpocket wrote:*Clicks my own profile*

(useless thread alert)

Eh, it's a good way to start conversation. I mean, it's not as if I keep up with everything everyone's watched recently, apart from what my Kumpel page tells me.

sebby
0 Ratings

Post by sebby »

Pickpocket wrote:(useless thread alert)

That's just, like, all subjective and stuff.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

(useless thread alert)

sebby wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:(useless thread alert)

That's just, like, all subjective and stuff.

+1

-BigEvil- wrote:

(useless thread alert)

Eh, it's a good way to start conversation. I mean, it's not as if I keep up with everything everyone's watched recently, apart from what my Kumpel page tells me.

+1

Plus, you know, most people aren't everybody's Kumpels so it's interesting to see what they watch.

NoSex
0 Ratings

Post by NoSex »

THE LICKERISH QUARTET (Radley Metzger, 1970)

absolutely beautiful film:

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

"It's Alive III: Island of the Alive"

I gave it an 81. Much less serious than the first two films - which were about as serious as horror films with such storylines can get - and also the bloodiest, creepiest and most humorous film, but this still isn't saying that much and could have been much better.