Does sex of the actors play a role when you choose movies?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Bryce74
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Does sex of the actors play a role when you choose movies?

Post by Bryce74 »

Just wondering: As a gay man I definitely tend to prioritize movies/series with males.
For example, a police series with women in the lead is definitely a no-go for me. But of course it is also about appearance, the more handsome the actor, the more interesting. Of course the story must be good.
If you are straight, do you tend to prioritize movies/series with actors of the opposite sex?
If you are gay, do you prioritize - like me - the same sex?

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Re: Does sex of the actors play a role when you choose movies?

Post by paulofilmo »

Maybe a bit. I think I get bored of an abundance of (masculine?) men; whereas Killing Eve, Fleabag, Euphoria . .
Similarly(?) maybe I wouldn't have gotten through Barry w/out NoHo Hank. Or Succession w/out Tom. Buffy w/out Spike. BoJack w/out Todd. (TLOU w/out episode 3).

My take might be more to do with gender expression/expectation (probably not the right terms). There's a fun bit of pop-psych in Richard E. Grant's interview on Adam Buxton's podcast— about how Adam is feminine-masculine, his wife is the opposite. Elton John is masculine-masculine. How these dynamics interact, etc. iirc. I do think about this in terms of a cast of characters. (But not when I'm choosing something - I think it's something I've got to stumble upon or it'll feel forced and expected.) (But there's probably [certainly] an inherent selection bias if I'm choosing a [fucking] HBO show, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, etc.)

Bryce74
0 Ratings

Post by Bryce74 »

"I think I get bored of an abundance of (masculine?) men"----> Lol, I can't get enough of them :-) Of course within a good series or movie.
Maybe Damages, with Glenn Close is the big exception. But in her character there is a lot of masculinity :-)
Elton John masculine-masculine? Excuse me? :roll:

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Bryce74 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:20 am
Elton John masculine-masculine? Excuse me? :roll:
https://www.adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/ ... mz92-cxnlh - 13:30

"He is very quick tempered, very intransigent, very dominant; it's his way or the highway."

"David Furnish is feminine-masculine."

... according to REG who knows them.

Bryce74
0 Ratings

Post by Bryce74 »

Lol ok, if you consider being quick tempered and intransigent signs of masculinity... :) But I guess ideas about what is masculine vary a lot. Moreover, for me, it is a combination of both character and appearance. And well, at least for me Elton John is not the best example of masculinity judging by appearance. A dark and tall hairy stud with a bit of muscles comes way closer to it.

movieboy
0 Ratings

Post by movieboy »

Bryce74 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:36 pm
If you are straight, do you tend to prioritize movies/series with actors of the opposite sex?
Not at all.

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

Not even the slightest.

The actors themselves play a role sometimes but their gender is never an issue for me.