Improved view/rating system/other suggestions?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
adgrimes
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Improved view/rating system/other suggestions?

Post by adgrimes »

Hey,

So I was having a look at Jinni recently, and find that the system for rating movies is a bit easier to use on their site than it is here. I know its just a click of a button, and a type the number in, however I try and judge each movie and decide whether its better/worse than something else. This is especially important on Criticker as your Tiers will change (I think) based on the number of movies you rate in one Tier range.
It does however, make it very difficult (for me - maybe just because Im picky) to rate something accurately... I feel like I need to change the ratings of some of the movies to reshuffle them around... Jinni is a bit easier as you have a choice of 10 ranks to choose from...
Not sure how this one can be improved as having a higher number of options is important for the way you figure out recommendations...

This brings me onto my next point...

I think the recommendations screen needs to be changed slightly. On Jinni, they have a selection of like 10 movies/TV series that they display, but I constantly see films pop up that are newer than the ones that are popping up on Criticker. Im not sure if you have a system where it just picks a film randomly that would be in your recommendations list, but maybe theres an option you could add that would add a preference to newer films? Or a way of filtering out films over a certain age based on decade ranges?

I was using Jinni for a while up until recently, basically because I think the way you figure out recommendations, is much cleverer and can see why this method will give you much better suggestions than just suggestions based on Plot/Genre/Mood/etc keywords... For instance Skyline on Jinni, is being recommended as 8/10, but I know almost every one of my friends who has seen the film, said it had a terrible storyline and therefore rated it poorly. On Criticker, its rated at 19 (Terrible) which is MUCH closer to the rating that I think I would give it if I decided to watch it...

The short version of the above is, I believe Jinni has a larger user base purely because of the user interface. If you can improve the interface, I think you'll pull people over from competitors sites, and gather a MUCH wider user base :)

Thanks for listening

/ag

Spunkie
196 Ratings

Re: Improved view/rating system/other suggestions?

Post by Spunkie »

This makes me think, it may be a good idea to allow users rank movies by tiers since whatever number system they are using everything settles into 10 tiers in the end na most of the frequent users know their tier distribution. Since tier system needs certain number of movies to be ranked to settle in, it can open up after minimum x rankings.

adgrimes
0 Ratings

Post by adgrimes »

That could work, although the tiers adapt based on the rankings you give... Sometimes a movie will drop into a lower tier depending on if you've rated a load of movies higher...
For instance - 7/10 is a fairly good rating - but when most of your films are rated high, 70% or 7/10 or tier 7, can actually be pretty low...

So you might find that you stick something in Tier 8, but then the meaning of that tier could change from Great - to - Good... Which could then mean that movie would no longer fit into the tier you wanted it in originally... At least with rating the movie in the way the site intends, the rating should never really change... The tier may still change, but thats something that will only get more refined as you rate more and more movies, and therefore shouldn't change too much...

Urgh - not sure if that made any sense...

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

That doesn't really make too much sense, tiers don't change meaning. Tier 8 will always mean the top 20-30% of your ratings, since the tiers try to align themselves so each one takes up 10% of your ratings and that's why they sometimes change. There's a feature to change which tiers are assigned which colors and such, but that's only a superficial change on your end and the site still uses 10 tiers in calculations. Or do you mean because of the shifting of tiers they no longer assign themselves to the numbers you think represent good/great/etc.?

adgrimes
0 Ratings

Post by adgrimes »

That is more what I meant yea... Thanks for being able to translate what was flying around in my head :)

The thing is, I enjoy a LOT of different types of movies... So out of my ratings (around 100 or so at the moment), I only have about 10 films say, that I've ranked below 30... So my Tier 7 films, are made up of films that are ranked between 81 and 84, 85 upwards are in the Tier 8 section, and 80 and below are in the Tier 6...
I was just trying to put across that if you then rated a tonne of films above a score of 90, it would push a lot of your 80's rated movies into a lower Tier, which may not be where you want them...
Personally I see the tiering as something that should be left alone, and you just rate the movie as you would normally by giving it a score between 1 - 100, and letting the backend reorganise your movies into the different tier's...

But thats just me :) If you are happy to stick a movie into a particular tier, and know the consequences of how that will affect your comparisons against other TCI's, then thats fine :)

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

You could always use the utility to change which numerical rankings mean what color, it's linked at the bottom of your profile and full rankings pages, and doesn't change the actual tiers at all.

Spunkie
196 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

I didn't mean that our rating should be tier sensitive and change as the tiers shift. It was more of a speed converter feature suggestion. The idea was alternative to typing in a number, you can mark the tier and system converts it to a number as your rating (which may jump in the future as usual). Just a thought anywayç

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

adgrimes wrote:So out of my ratings (around 100 or so at the moment), I only have about 10 films say, that I've ranked below 30... So my Tier 7 films, are made up of films that are ranked between 81 and 84, 85 upwards are in the Tier 8 section, and 80 and below are in the Tier 6...
I was just trying to put across that if you then rated a tonne of films above a score of 90, it would push a lot of your 80's rated movies into a lower Tier, which may not be where you want them...

There's a complement sandwich of a MUBI thread here that gets into part of this.

JIRIN wrote:It judges your opinions about a film based on other ratings you’ve given. So, here’s the situation that may arise.

User A explored the site looking specifically for his favorite movies of all time. Hence, the lowest rating he gave was an 80.

User B explored the site using the ‘rate more films’ tool, where you’re given lists of films randomly. Hence, he gave lots of ratings all the way from 0 to 100.

Both users A and B like film C. They both gave it 80’s. So, for user A, this is a 1st tier film, and for user B, this is a 9th tier film. According to the site, users A and B completely disagree about this film, even though they like it equally.

As is my understanding, tier distribution is by percentage, so you kind of need to rate the wheat and the chaff in order to not have skewy tiers.
I recommend Hulk Hogan.

adgrimes wrote:So I was having a look at Jinni recently

I.. like it.

Oh dear

The personality sketch is fun, and I like how I can search for something as complex as 'contemplative psychological atmospheric human nature' (still no erotic zombie westerns).

Who has profiles? -- the 'your shared taste' is neat:

You both especially like touching and contemplative stories about love affairs and infidelity.

You also both like emotional and rough stories about human nature and redemption based on based on books.

Aww, love at first semantic genome.

http://www.jinni.com/user/paulofilmo/public