New Category: Film-Noir

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
iceblox
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

New Category: Film-Noir

Post by iceblox »

Can we have 'Film Noir' as a category please? IMDB has it, and I love Film Noir myself. 'Thriller/Suspense' is too broad a category to put Film Noir in it.

KGB
0 Ratings

Re: New Category: Film-Noir

Post by KGB »

That's been suggested, and I believe rejected, before. In my opinion, you should at least put into use the 'Classic' genre, as we can consider any important film before the '80s as one. Right now I believe there are only two films on that genre, and non of them is really a classic, I think.
Oh, and you should really get rid of the 'Gay/Lesbian' genre. I can only guess you added that genre when the Brokeback Mountain-boom started, as there is no other explanation for that strange choice of genre.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for the suggestions. We understand the desire for new genres, and are hoping to get Tagging functionality introduced soon, which will allow users to better classify films. We assume "Noir" would be one of the first -- and most frequently used -- tags.

iceblox
0 Ratings

Post by iceblox »

Well, tags are nice, but any particular reason why Film-Noir can't be a genre and not just a tag? Considering Criticker follows suit on most of the IMDB ways, why not this too?

And when you introduce tags, I hope there would a functionality to search on tags too?

P.S: I think Gay/Lesbian category is OK. That way I can filter out movies which belong to that genre, from my recommendations, i.e. I don't want Gay/Lesbian movies in my recommendations.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I dont want to make a new thread, but in the Art/Independent subgenre are 3movies....
Not more, not less, and this is a own genre when checking under genres on the all our films...

The Machine that Killed Ba... (1989)

Riding Alone for Thousands... (2005)

São Jerônimo (1999)

This could make space for something like film-noir

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Hi all,

We agree that Gay/Lesbian isn't really a "genre" in and of itself, and have updated our database to reflect that. I thought we had done this before, actually.

Also, we've removed the Art/Independent genre... I don't know how those three films squeaked in there. Both gay/lesbian and art/independent were holdovers from our original data gathering effort, and just were never fully removed once obsoleted.

Again, we hope to get to tagging soon (and yeah, you'll be able to search on tags). Thanks again for your patience!

iceblox
0 Ratings

Post by iceblox »

You still didn't explain why Film-Noir can't be a genre, and not just a tag.

Scottathon
0 Ratings

Post by Scottathon »

I could be wrong, but if it were added as a genre, the admins would have to manually edit every single film page that could be deemed film noir. I'd imagine that would be a huge pain the ass, especially considering how busy they are. If it were a tag, then us users could do the work.

Quicky
0 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

It seems you've rolled out the tags feature... Looks promising. Time for the community to start tagging. Go go go! ;)

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Another great functionality. Thanks Criticker