Tag list search function tweak

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Quicky
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Tag list search function tweak

Post by Quicky »

Summary: Please add already tagged movies to the search results!

Explanation:
I've been adding lots of movies to the TIME all-time top 100, Empire's 500 greatest films and the They Shoot Pictures Don't They 1000 list and there's one thing that kept bothering me.

Here's what I keep doing:
  1. I search for movie 'X' with the search function on the tag list.
  2. I'm presented with 3 options, neither of which is the movie I'm looking for.
  3. Because I'm not sure whether the movie has been tagged yet or just hasn't been added to Criticker yet, in a different tab, I use the normal search function to search for movie 'X'.
  4. I browse towards the movie page for the movie.
  5. I find out that the movie was already tagged.
  6. I go back to the tag list to tag the next movie.

Steps 3 to 6 could be avoided if in step 2 Criticker would not only list the three closest results that haven't been added yet, but also list the closest results that have already been added.

For example, let's say that I want to tag the 1960 movie "The Apartment". This movie has already been tagged, but I'm not aware of that, so it would be convenient if the search results would be presented like this, with the second line being the important one:

Code: Select all

Know another film which belongs in this tag? Add it now: [The Apartment] (Search)
Apartment, The (1960, Dir: Billy Wilder) (already tagged!)
(o) Apartment Zero (1989, Dir: Martin Donovan)
(o) Joe's Apartment (1996, Dir: John Payson)
(o) Apartment, The (1996, Dir: Gilles Mimouni)

The second line immediately tells me the movie's already been tagged, so I don't need to waste all that time looking for the movie the normal way and trying to find out if it's been tagged or if the movie has not been added to Criticker at all yet.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Re: Tag list search function tweak

Post by mpowell »

That's an interesting point. We figured that taking already-tagged matches out of the results would make things easier (and prevent duplicate tags), but I agree that given the way you describe, it can also make things harder.

We've written this down... thanks for the suggestion!

Quicky
0 Ratings

Re: Tag list search function tweak

Post by Quicky »

Please note that I am not suggesting to make movies that have already been added selectable. I'm merely suggesting to list them for the user's information along with the three first results that can still be added.