'Remake of ___' / 'Remade as ___'

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
iceblox
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

'Remake of ___' / 'Remade as ___'

Post by iceblox »

Although the 'Remake' tag is good, in that, it tells you if a movie is a remake, it doesn't tell you which movie it is a remake of. And, unfortunately, there is not a single reliable source on the web where you can go and find out which movie a movie is a remake of, and/or if a movie has been remade as other movies.

I hold the general belief that remakes don't come out as good as the original, but I have seen exceptions to this. Whenever I hear a new Bollywood/Hollywood movie is announced, my first thought always is "Now which movie did they rip-off this time?" and whenever possible, I always try to watch the original first, rather than it's (often) inferior remakes.

I am envisioning a new feature, which when implemented, would give a 'Remake of ___' / 'Remade as ___' entry for every film, on its movie page. For films which are a remake, say movie AABB, it would say 'Remake of XXYY / Remade as NONE', and if you go into the movie page for XXYY, you would see the entry 'Remake of NONE / Remade as AABB'.

I know that sometimes a movie can be remade many times. e.g. Big B (2007) is a remake of Four Brothers (2005), which in turn is a remake of The Sons of Katie Elder (1965). In this case, Big B's page would have the entry 'Remake of The Sons of Katie Elder, Four Brothers' / 'Remade as NONE', Four Brother's page would have the entry 'Remake of The Sons of Katie Elder / Remade as Big B', and in The Sons of Katie Elder's page, there would be the entry 'Remake of NONE / Remade as Four Brothers, Big B'.

All entries would of course, be user contributed. If this can be implemented, this will be a real cool feature which no other site has, and would really open up one's horizon to obscure films.

Comments?

PeaceAnarchy
0 Ratings

Re: 'Remake of ___' / 'Remade as ___'

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

Not sure if you think IMDb is unreliable, or if you didn't know about it, but they have this feature, and have had it for quite a while, it's the movie connections tab. Here's the one for Four Brothers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430105/movieconnections

iceblox
0 Ratings

Post by iceblox »

Actually, I think I did know about it at some point in the past, but had totally forgotten about it. I am still concerned about the unreliability of iMDB though, especially when it comes to Indian movies.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

It's an interesting feature request, and would be something that exists outside the realm of normal "tagging".

I've added it to our list of enhancement ideas. I can see how that information would be really interesting.