Tagging

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Skavau
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Tagging

Post by Skavau »

Any chance Criticker could implement a "tagging" function for users to add custom tags to films and shows on here? Ideally it'd have some oversight to prevent nonsense, and abuse - but it'd be very useful for people to explore.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Re: Tagging

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for that suggestion! Is there a way that tagging would be significantly different from the Collections functionality that is already available?

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

If this is implemented, please add the ability to hide/disable it entirely, since tags can be spoilers.

Skavau
0 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

mpowell wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:09 am
Thanks for that suggestion! Is there a way that tagging would be significantly different from the Collections functionality that is already available?
My idea is that it would work like https://movielens.org/movies/6502. Or even how Rateyourmusic handles genre tagging (except without a hierarchical system and the bureaucracy that goes into adding new terms). One thing tagging could do is that you could filter two or more tags into a search, so: zombie + post-apocalyptic (for example). The system would then return only entries both tagges as zombie *and* post-apocalyptic. It doesn't seem to me that collections works in this way.

I just looked into the collections functionality, and it seems interesting, but it isn't as widely accessible as a search function for people as tags would be.
Last edited by Skavau on Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skavau
0 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:07 pm
If this is implemented, please add the ability to hide/disable it entirely, since tags can be spoilers.
For sure

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Skavau wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:47 pm
...My idea is that it would work like this website...
Did you copy the url correctly for this link? It doesn't look right for me.

Skavau
0 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:10 am
Skavau wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:47 pm
...My idea is that it would work like this website...
Did you copy the url correctly for this link? It doesn't look right for me.
I don't know how to give it a custom name. Updated, but here is the link also:

https://movielens.org/movies/6502

Movielens allows you to add new tags, and upvote and downvote.

Skavau
0 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

mpowell wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:09 am
You can't combine collections together to specifically filter for entries in multiple collections, it seems. A good tagging system would allow you to mix and match tags to isolate for things you might be interested in.

It'd also be much more publicly visible, and users could upvote and downvote the tags they think are accurate. It would take a degree of moderator oversight to prevent it from becoming a joke, but it's certainly possible to do well.