"movie date" with kumpels

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Freundh
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"movie date" with kumpels

Post by Freundh »

Perhaps this is already possible and I just haven't found the feature.. I think it would be nice if you could select one or more kumpels/users and get suggestions for movies that you all would like. Preferably with filters, so you could select genres, release years, languages etc. in case you have any preferences.

If it turns out to be computationally expensive to do the search then it could be a supporter-only feature.

Edit: Had an idea for how the feature could work, in case you want some inspiration:

1) When looking at someone else's profile, add a "Movie date with NNN", "Start watch party with NNN", or similar button/link under the existing "Send NNN a message".
2) When the link is clicked, a new "current watch party" box is added to the UI header below the main toolbar (i.e. the blue line with "You Explore Resources Forums Games". In this box all the users you've added are listed, probably with an X-button next to their name to remove them from the group.
3) When in a watch party, if you perform a database search all the listed PSIs are a combined score for everybody in the group instead of your own PSIs. Not sure which algorithm would be the best.. Maybe the lowest PSI would be most interesting, to avoid getting movies that 1 person getting run over by a high average? E.g. If three people are going to see a movie together, I think it wouldn't be good to recommend a movie with individual PSIs [100, 95, 20]..
4) When in a watch party, if you look at a single movie the "current watch party" box could update to show each person's own PSI for that movie

mpowell
1 Ratings

Re: "movie date" with kumpels

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for that idea! We do have a "Joint Recommendation" feature on the Kumpels page, but this is very basic -- it just looks for titles which you and a Kumpel both haven't seen and will both enjoy. We've long had plans to elaborate this a little further, and appreciate your thoughts on how we might do so!

Freundh
0 Ratings

Re: "movie date" with kumpels

Post by Freundh »

Ahh, it took me a little while to find it even after knowing what to look for :) I guess I expected it to be accessible from my Kumpel's profile page