In Time

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: In Time

Post by Stewball »

From my "For What It's Worth Dept.":

TrixRabbi wrote:-Darwinian Capitalism. He just said that. He seriously just said that.

I keep hearing this phrase ever since I saw it, and every time (haw!), In Time with Philippe at the poker table flashes across my mind--so I came here to try to break the chain, so to speak.

This is the scene in question. http://www.hitfix.com/videos/in-time-darwinian-capitalism

I couldn't really find a good definition of the phrase (Google keeps redirecting to Social Darwinism), but it's obvious he's using it to justify his superiority, which is perfectly appropriate and fits the scenario. More important, I think, is that this isn't the viewpoint of the movie since Philippe is the bad guy. I think the point is that the acquisition of power is one thing, using it to oppress others is another. Capitalism is not a system than can exist in a vacuum since it will always devolve into an oligarchy as it does here, without a mechanism to protect individual rights--at which point it is no longer capitalism. Survival of the fittest is never in perpetuity in any case, even if you control time at the moment (time being a questionable medium of exchange to begin with). There will always be someone who is more fit, more lucky, or is a faster clock. :roll:

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Something most people forget when discussing the Darwinian concept of "survival of the fittest" is that it's not directly related to being faster or stronger. It has to do with increased access to mating partners. Fitness is not necessarily defined by physical fitness, but an ability to successfully procreate with greater frequency than other individuals within the population. Granted, this can be achieved by physical superiority, but not always.

With this in mind, it becomes pretty clear to me that the inherent meaning behind the phrase "Darwinian Capitalism" is that rich dudes get laid more.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

TheDenizen wrote:Something most people forget when discussing the Darwinian concept of "survival of the fittest" is that it's not directly related to being faster or stronger. It has to do with increased access to mating partners. Fitness is not necessarily defined by physical fitness, but an ability to successfully procreate with greater frequency than other individuals within the population. Granted, this can be achieved by physical superiority, but not always.

With this in mind, it becomes pretty clear to me that the inherent meaning behind the phrase "Darwinian Capitalism" is that rich dudes get laid more.

The faster, stronger, more attractive, smarter, richer, most potent, rock stars get access to the "best" ( :roll: ) females, ergo those qualities feed into the objective. Put another way, the male with the most resources is most attractive to the most females. Money is a good measure of those resources in real life, but mainly comes to us as we age (not so where time is the currency). Potential is the other measure is harder to judge, but the ages of the partners will be closer which is more beneficial for the chances for the children. Potential definitely outclassed currency on hand in the movie, particularly after he allied himself with the magnates daughter.

martryn
148 Ratings

Post by martryn »

I agree with Movieboy above me. In fact, my own review of the film, which I ranked at the start of the year:

"A great premise, and a poor film behind it. I only rank this high due to the fantastic idea for a story. The movie itself is stupid, but the premise... you just want this premise to work."

There were a few decent scenes and some decent acting... occasionally. But the script itself was weak and the actors didn't have much to go off of. What a fantastic idea for a story, and yet an incredibly poor attempt at execution. Tier 5.

I like Amanda Seyfried because she has big eyes and bigger tits, but I really didn't want her character to be part of the plot of the film. I didn't like the fact that the movie explored class warfare the way it did. Sure, I wanted to see it present, but I'm a conservative, and I'd like to think that the system works. I wanted to see the system work where time = money and the consequences of such, instead of the rich and powerful vampiring themselves off of the lower classes, and people live daily in fear that tomorrow will be their last day.

And they explored some of the concepts that I wanted to see, such as running everywhere, but the interesting bits of the movie were under-explored so we could, instead, be given yet another liberal propaganda film.

Proximity
0 Ratings

Post by Proximity »

Of course Trobber Dobson over here made this thread and called this movie good. Ludicrous.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

movieboy wrote:
Proximity wrote:Of course Trobber Dobson over here made this thread and called this movie good. Ludicrous.

What is 'Trobber Dobson' and the wth is 'Herp shnyrf derp floo'?

I'm seriously curious about "Trobber Dobson" as well. Even after searching online, I don't understand the reference. Obviously, it's a disparaging comparison about Stewball, but what it pertains to remains a mystery.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:I'm seriously curious about "Trobber Dobson" as well. Even after searching online, I don't understand the reference. Obviously, it's a disparaging comparison about Stewball, but what it pertains to remains a mystery.

It's an example of the erratica manifested by those of the throes of a breakdowns often suffered by the Twitterati when attempting to be cogent in the criticism of Yours Truly--I assume.

Proximity
0 Ratings

Post by Proximity »

trobs, brah, gotta get cha film game right, brah. chubbin that... In Time and sheet. naw, meen. naw.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Proximity wrote:trobs, brah, gotta get cha film game right, brah. chubbin that... In Time and sheet. naw, meen. naw.

Blah blah blah brah, nomsain?

Proximity
0 Ratings

Post by Proximity »

i don't speak Intimeisgoodinese