Everybody Wants Some!! (2016)

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
JSchlansky
595 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Everybody Wants Some!! (2016)

Post by JSchlansky »

Got to see this film a couple days early, here is my video review for it https://youtu.be/SjQVIEzh97Q
I'm predicting that it will be a classic.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Re: Everybody Wants Some!! (2016)

Post by Stewball »

I predict it'll be a dud, well, because it is. It just plods along with mostly low-brow humor and a who cares story. If this could have been an indy instead of being put out by Paramount, and thinking of itself as the next cult classic and "spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused", they might have actually to work to come up with something original. Also, I think it's a dud because the theater was almost empty. Spiritual><sequel indeed! 5/10

JSchlansky
595 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

I don't really care about the spiritual sequel angle. I dismissed the Dazed and Confused connection at the start of my review. I believe a film needs to stand on its own merits which to me Everybody Wants Some did. I can agree with you that this movie might have fared better as an independent film. Also the theater I was in was packed and the film received a standing ovation at the end by the audience. Conversely I saw the massive hit Zootopia in a theater that was completely empty aside from the people I went with.

edkrak
132 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Totally missed that Linklater made a new film and it looks exactly right my alley. + Stewball didn't like it so that's the best recommendation I can get. :lol:

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

brickwall wrote:I don't really care about the spiritual sequel angle. I dismissed the Dazed and Confused connection at the start of my review. I believe a film needs to stand on its own merits which to me Everybody Wants Some did. I can agree with you that this movie might have fared better as an independent film. Also the theater I was in was packed and the film received a standing ovation at the end by the audience. Conversely I saw the massive hit Zootopia in a theater that was completely empty aside from the people I went with.

Wasn't yours a promo viewing. And I didn't mean to imply that you were so easily influence, just the average viewers of this category of movie, which were the demographic I'm sure they were targeting--and to which an appreciable number of critics belong, which I think is older than your age group unless you're in your late 30s or 40s. And I think the ballot box at IMDb was/is being stuffed (gasp). The one big plus for me was the use of music. Who knows where I would have put it without that. 5/10

BTW, I think that Zootopia is average: and while I almost never see an audience respond with applause for a film, for the first time in like forever, The Jungle Book drew significant spontaneous applause from a nearly packed audience. As for me, best animated movie in years.

edkrak wrote:Totally missed that Linklater made a new film and it looks exactly right my alley. + Stewball didn't like it so that's the best recommendation I can get. :lol:

Well, the target demo rears its ugly head right on cue. And by all means, don't see it (wouldn't want you suing me for stunting your mental enlightenment.) :roll:

JSchlansky
595 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

Stewball wrote:Wasn't yours a promo viewing.

It was. I've seen promo screenings where hardly anyone goes, I was the only one in the theater for the advance screening I saw of Birdman