Michael Bay

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
edkrak
132 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Michael Bay

Post by edkrak »

I just checked "filmmaker list" and my average score for Bay is higher than for Cameron/Truffaut/von Trier/Ridley Scott/David Lynch/Godard/Antonioni. :lol: Holy shit I really have awful taste in movies. Yeah, I enjoyed both parts of "Bad Boys" and I'm not ashamed to say it (I saw them 8-9 years ago though).

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

ShogunRua wrote: Who the fuck cares what they do with it?

While I'm not saying people should care as much as they do, I've seen you specifically rip apart movies that dumb down and make source material worse (in your opinion) like Perfect Blue and Battle Royale. While it is a reboot instead of a ripoff, the changes in what people feel is a story that deserves their care is why people get frustrated. Instead of being mad about something that is art or whatever, its people being mad over nerd culture. Again, I don't think anybody should get as mad as people do, but as the Adam Corolla quote shows, its just a judgment about the quality of the content. One could make the argument that caring that much about scotch, sports, or cars is just as if not more useless. Maybe if more adults cared about the Ninja Turtles instead of sports there wouldn't be such a pointless emphasis in sports and then colleges would give more money to scholastically geared students instead of full rides to retard jocks. While I think Michael Bay changing the Ninja Turtles would be stupid, it hasn't changed my life 1 bit, but neither has the rip off of Perfect Blue or Battle Royale.

ayall
0 Ratings

Post by ayall »

I've got him with "Average Rating: 72.67"

"The Island" being the mean movie rated at a 72 which falls into my Tier 3 (Not Good).

Highest movie was Bad Boys rated 83 which falls into my Tier 8 (Great) followed by The Rock rated 80 which falls into my Tier 7 (Good).

Relative to;
PTA who I've got with "Average Ratings: 86.33 (Director), 86.33 (Writer)" (85 is my tier 9 - Great)
and
Darren Aronofsky who I've got with "Average Ratings: 79 (Writer), 81.2 (Director)" (80 is my tier 7 - Good)

I'd say I've got Micheal Bay Rated appropriately.

ayall
0 Ratings

Post by ayall »

CMonster wrote:Maybe if more adults cared about the Ninja Turtles instead of sports there wouldn't be such a pointless emphasis in sports and then colleges would give more money to scholastically geared students instead of full rides to retard jocks.

Agree'd!

I fucking hate watching sports - if anything, bring back the Gladiators!
Watching sports makes me feel like a fat ass sitting on my couch eating potato-chips while watching other people workout.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

I, for one, am looking forward to a Transformers reboot. The main thing that ruined the first three Transformers movies for me was Shia Labeouf, and with him gone from the cast I think a Michael Bay Transformers movie has real potential as an entertaining action blockbuster with exquisite sound and visual effects.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Antares wrote:What episode is this from, because I want to link it on another forum where we have guys who are just like this?

http://www.adamcarolla.com/kate-flannery/

I'm not sure about the exact time stamp, but it's about 2/3rds of the way through the show, roughly an hour in. It occurs during one of Alison's news segments.

ayall wrote:I also agree with you on your take on MB, as I've watched all his movies and am definitely guilty of supporting him in that way. Same with M Night Shyama-mama-ding-dong.
Though in my defense, it's hard not to watch their movies; it's like an awful car wreck... it's nearly impossible to look away. (though you know shouldn't slow down to look as you'll slow down traffic, etc. etc.).

I should clarify that I have no problems with someone watching and enjoying Michael Bay's films. By all means, if you like him, keep paying for his movies.

However, what gets me is the people who see his pictures and then complain incessantly about them. Even when the first "Transformers" came out, you knew exactly what you were getting with a Bay picture.

CMonster wrote:While I'm not saying people should care as much as they do, I've seen you specifically rip apart movies that dumb down and make source material worse (in your opinion) like Perfect Blue and Battle Royale.

Perfect Blue and Battle Royale are masterpieces. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a crappy, brain-dead childrens' cartoon I last enjoyed when I was 8. Therein lies all the difference.

One is worth getting upset over. The other isn't.

CMonster wrote:
Maybe if more adults cared about the Ninja Turtles instead of sports there wouldn't be such a pointless emphasis in sports and then colleges would give more money to scholastically geared students instead of full rides to retard jocks.

The reason they gave full rides to "retard jocks" is that they make make millions upon millions of dollars of profits for the university thanks to football and basketball. These millions in profits then go towards funding all the unprofitable sports (virtually everything else) as well as the school's academic programs.

Next time, do some basic research before allowing misplaced rage to get the better of you. Universities are hardly giving out athletic scholarships out of the goodness of their hearts.

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Please don't accuse me of misplaced rage. I said I don't really care, I was just pointing out why people care. Combing nostalgia and characters people enjoy is a great way to get lasting care for a franchise. If you wish I could extrapolate on the point I was trying to make with sports. I was commenting on the Adam Corolla quote where he pretty much said an adult male being invested in nerd culture instead of 'man stuff' like alcohol and cars is "faggotry of the highest magnitude." It may be faggotry but implying sterotypical 'man stuff' is so much better is stupid. You also missed the basic idea that if adults cared more about Ninja Turtles instead of sports, the sports players wouldn't make millions and millions of dollars for the colleges because people would be putting more money in cartoons than sports. It's a hypothetical to emphasize a point, which you were questioning why people care. I watch sports, but haven't watched the Ninja Turtles in years. I'm not raging about anything. You literally said, "Who the fuck cares what they do with it?" I explained that nerds invested in the story and characters care because they are ...*drum roll*...invested in the story and characters. You connect with 'materpieces', some people connect with cartoons, and some people connect bein' a gangsta. Tell a 'g' that rap sucks, they bust a cap. Tell a cartoon nerd that the Turtles origin is changing to make them aliens, they get over zealous nerd rage. Tell you that Black Swan was better than Perfect Blue, you get on this forum and explain why that is wrong for a multitude of reasons. Don't ask why people care and then argue with a reasoning, because that makes less sense than why people are mad at Michael Bay about the Ninja Turtles.

ayall
0 Ratings

Post by ayall »

ShogunRua wrote: Even when the first "Transformers" came out, you knew exactly what you were getting with a Bay picture.

This is very true.

I guess Christopher Nolan can't be expected to direct every comic book movie.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3dRevelation
0 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

Apparently, Bay's production company Platinum Dunes might make Halloween 3D (http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/be-afraid-michael-bays-platinum-dunes-taking-over-the-halloween-franchise). Not that I care much about the progress of Halloween 3D, but I figured I'd feed the fire. Bay's company has also made a slew of other horror remakes of which the films I've seen haven't been good (Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street). Can't get any worse than Rob Zombie's Halloween remakes I guess.