Michael Bay

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Kojiless
448 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Michael Bay

Post by Kojiless »

"you're a GUY who should be talking about fucking and drinking scotch, and cars and shit, and hitting sales bonuses"

Sounds like a BLAST! Now allow me a moment to wipe the testosterone from my screen. :D

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Kojiless wrote:"you're a GUY who should be talking about fucking and drinking scotch, and cars and shit, and hitting sales bonuses"

Sounds like a BLAST! Now allow me a moment to wipe the testosterone from my screen. :D

Nothing says manly to me like talking about feces and sales bonuses. Adam Corolla is about as funny as dick cancer.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

hellboy76 wrote:Adam Corolla is about as funny as dick cancer.

True.

I guess being on a show called "The Man Show" (which was a retarded embarrassment to men everywhere) makes him the unofficial expert....but the 'geek' culture is every bit as legit as the 'our masculinity is defined by our love of powerful engines, booze, silicone breasts and violent sports' culture. There's room for both, Adam!

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Adam Carolla is a gentleman, a scholar, a genius, and literally a millionaire. Oh and the best radio personality of all time. Sorry Stern

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket speaks the truth.

TheDenizen wrote:

True.

I guess being on a show called "The Man Show" (which was a retarded embarrassment to men everywhere) makes him the unofficial expert....but the 'geek' culture is every bit as legit as the 'our masculinity is defined by our love of powerful engines, booze, silicone breasts and violent sports' culture. There's room for both, Adam!

I don't really care what hellboy76 thinks, but I feel the need to educate my e-buddy, TheDenizen. Carolla is very much a geek himself on many things, and that transcribed rant had nothing to do with "geek culture".

Rather, it was a rant against infantile culture. Grown adults obsessed with shitty children's cartoons, superhero comics, action figures, and other brainless nonsense we all enjoyed when we were 5-9 years old, but most eventually grew out of. Tell me; how would you view a 30 year-old wearing diapers and playing with a rattler? Developmentally retarded, right?

Well, obsessing over TMNT is only a few years removed from that on the maturity scale.

Later on in that same show, Carolla mentioned that he loved "Speed Racer" as a kid. When the "Speed Racer" film by the Wachowski brothers came out several years ago, did he rush out to see it? Hell no. He didn't care. Adam had moved on to much bigger and better things.

As for "The Man Show", I was put off by its dumb-looking commercials when it came out too, but have you ever actually watched the show? It was hilarious.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Yeah I watched a few episodes of the Man Show when it was on just to see what the fuss was about. I was not a fan of the format or the concept in general. Adam Carolla really doesn't do much for me, sorry. I've even listened to a few of the Love Line radio shows he does (or used to do? not sure)...again, I find his brand of entertainment lacking. Of course, I dislike comedy in general and lowbrow stuff especially, so I'm predisposed to dislike Carolla.

That being said, I understand the point he's making about infantile culture. I wasn't upset about the crappy Scooby Doo or GI Joe adaptations because I had outgrown that shit. But TMNT holds a special place in my heart, dammit. My first exposure to the turtles was back in the mid 80s, before they became a kiddie cartoon joke. The original TMNT books were dark and violent, filled with bloody death, vengeance, and inter-dimensional space travel.

I hated the original cartoon series for ruining their image from the comics, but over time, the goofiness of the show and subsequent movies kinda won me over to liking the PG version of the turtles. Sure they were morphed into non-lethal shills for cheap plastic toys, but at least they were still Turtles. Michael Bay's alien origin story chucks even the most basic elements of the existing canon out the window....

Anyways, long story short...though I think it's a terrible idea and it annoys me (I probably wouldn't go see it anyways), the people who were screaming about their "childhood being raped" probably need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Pickpocket wrote:Adam Carolla is a gentleman, a scholar, a genius, and literally a millionaire. Oh and the best radio personality of all time. Sorry Stern

Neither Stern or Carolla has done a radio show as good as the Opie and Anthony show, because Opie and Anthony, while awesome themselves, also have Jim Norton who is hilarious.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Michael Bay is making TMNT aliens!? This is a fucking travesty!

#firstworldproblems

I honestly don't care. I don't understand the entire infatuation with people my age and cartoons like GI Joe, Thundercats, He-Man, TMNT, etc., like we were all there as kids.

I blame Robot Chicken and Family Guy.

To make it clear, I understand most of you guys probably were, I'm talking about post-1988.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

TheDenizen wrote:

True.

Yes, despite what Mr. Corolla and some others think, TMNT, comic books etc. are very much the geek culture. I suppose if they want to try and be some sort of ubergeek dictating what geeks can obsess about, that's their prerogative. I could give two shits. I have read comic books off and on since I was nine years old. At the same time I played sports in high school, enjoyed women, drove a muscle car and now am married, own my own house have had two jobs in the last 15 years , both for Fortune 500 companies. If I want to talk about Watchmen, or Swamp Thing or watch an episode of He-Man I will, and if I want to discuss it , again why would someone else care? If you could care less about it, why do you care if someone else does, other than to point it out and try to make them feel bad because of it? For those that really don't understand the appeal of a piece of their childhood memories, well it explains a lot about them as people.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

CMonster wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:Adam Carolla is a gentleman, a scholar, a genius, and literally a millionaire. Oh and the best radio personality of all time. Sorry Stern

Neither Stern or Carolla has done a radio show as good as the Opie and Anthony show, because Opie and Anthony, while awesome themselves, also have Jim Norton who is hilarious.

Opie and Anthony are unfunny hacks who think that swearing a lot and doing third-rate imitations of Howard Stern equals high comedy. They suck.

I do like Jim Norton, but he has been on Carolla's show a bunch, too.

Replicant wrote:Michael Bay is making TMNT aliens!? This is a fucking travesty!

#firstworldproblems

I honestly don't care. I don't understand the entire infatuation with people my age and cartoons like GI Joe, Thundercats, He-Man, TMNT, etc., like we were all there as kids.

Excellent post, but sadly, it's not just cartoons; it's literature, music, everything. There is a very pervasive element of infantilism in our culture; people obsessing over things we enjoyed as kids, to the exclusion of everything more interesting and mature. There's nothing wrong with looking back with nostalgia on some childhood cartoons, but when you start obsessing and caring so much over it, and don't consume any adult works at all, you're suffering from infantilism.

hellboy76 wrote:Yes, despite what Mr. Corolla and some others think, TMNT, comic books etc. are very much the geek culture. I suppose if they want to try and be some sort of ubergeek dictating what geeks can obsess about, that's their prerogative. I could give two shits. I have read comic books off and on since I was nine years old. At the same time I played sports in high school, enjoyed women, drove a muscle car and now am married, own my own house have had two jobs in the last 15 years , both for Fortune 500 companies. If I want to talk about Watchmen, or Swamp Thing or watch an episode of He-Man I will, and if I want to discuss it , again why would someone else care? If you could care less about it, why do you care if someone else does, other than to point it out and try to make them feel bad because of it? For those that really don't understand the appeal of a piece of their childhood memories, well it explains a lot about them as people.

You're missing the point, dude. Both TheDenizen and myself read a bunch of comic books. However, comics are far from synonymous with crappy superhero fluff or shitty childrens' cartoons.

If you're reading "Watchmen" as an adult, that's perfectly fine. It's a fairly interesting and mature work. If you're watching "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" cartoon re-runs from the late 80s and/or really care about that shit, then you're suffering from infantilism.