Say it isn't so

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Ag0stoMesmer
354 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Say it isn't so

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Lord of War over Crash -definitely.

I like Cage, he's as fearless in the way he throws himself into roles as he is reckless with his finances. Even when those roles are shit.

He's been in some stinkers but were any of them made worse by him?, I don't think so. Pretty good chance he'll be the most entertaining thing about Left behind.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Ag0stoMesmer wrote:Lord of War over Crash -definitely.

I like Cage, he's as fearless in the way he throws himself into roles as he is reckless with his finances. Even when those roles are shit.

He's been in some stinkers but were any of them made worse by him?, I don't think so. Pretty good chance he'll be the most entertaining thing about Left behind.

I'd have to watch it first, but I'm sure it would bury the needle on my bullshit meter/alarm...

....and I'd probably leave before they threw me out.

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Stewball wrote:
CMonster wrote:Also, I can't hold it against the guy if sometime he tries to be a serious actor and other times he just has fun being silly and over the top.

If he just did and occasional piece of junk, he'd be getting a lot more for doing both. In fact, he can't be getting that much for doing this piece of junk with a reported budget of $15 mil. On the other hand, the apparent quality is about $3 mil. :roll:

What I said had nothing to do with money.

Gregzilla
182 Ratings

Post by Gregzilla »

hellboy76 wrote:Nic Cage is notorious for blowing through massive amounts of money. Something like 150 million and owing huge amounts to the IRS. He does shit like this for the money. He will do anything. If we wrote a script and got Kickstarter to finance it, he would be in it if the money was right.

Rumors are he spent money on ridiculous extravagances. 15 houses, a dinosaur skull, an island.

...and Bernie Madoff.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

CMonster wrote:
Stewball wrote:
CMonster wrote:Also, I can't hold it against the guy if sometime he tries to be a serious actor and other times he just has fun being silly and over the top.

If he just did and occasional piece of junk, he'd be getting a lot more for doing both. In fact, he can't be getting that much for doing this piece of junk with a reported budget of $15 mil. On the other hand, the apparent quality is about $3 mil. :roll:

What I said had nothing to do with money.

What's your point, money isn't a factor?

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Stewball wrote:What's your point, money isn't a factor?

I can't hold it against the guy if sometimes he wants to be a serious actor and sometime he just wants to be silly and over the top. Not sure what is unclear about that.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

CMonster wrote:

I can't hold it against the guy if sometimes he wants to be a serious actor and sometime he just wants to be silly and over the top. Not sure what is unclear about that.

Well, it's kind of obvious that he likes to spend money, it might even be an addiction--which shopping malls around the world cater to for the less monetarily blessed.

That said, most actors, particularly at his level, are driven by audience approbation. Now if he just doesn't know he's taking shitty roles, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax altogether.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
That said, most actors, particularly at his level, are driven by audience approbation.

Where are you getting this bizarre assumption from? From most interviews that I have read, many actors couldn't give a damn less about what the audience thinks, so long as they continue to get offered large roles for a lot of money.

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Stewball wrote:
CMonster wrote:

Well, it's kind of obvious that he likes to spend money, it might even be an addiction--which shopping malls around the world cater to for the less monetarily blessed.

That said, most actors, particularly at his level, are driven by audience approbation. Now if he just doesn't know he's taking shitty roles, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax altogether.

Some big actors take roles in small indie dramas because they find fun and satisfaction by delving deeper into their craft despite the money. Liam Neeson does any action film he can get in on because that's his way of deal with the death of a loved one. Nic Cage takes nutty roles because he has fun letting loose and being nuts. Doesn't change the fact he gets enough big budget roles to buy lots of things and serious roles that let him actually be a good actor. I assume that like most people he is driven by more than one motivation. Money and audience approbation are two, but he can do films that full fill both of those and still do other films for fun. I don't see what is so hard to grasp about this.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:
Stewball wrote:
That said, most actors, particularly at his level, are driven by audience approbation.

Where are you getting this bizarre assumption from? From most interviews that I have read, many actors couldn't give a damn less about what the audience thinks, so long as they continue to get offered large roles for a lot of money.

It's the nature of the profession, it draws the exhibitionist personalities.