Directors You Hate

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
snallygaster
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Directors You Hate

Post by snallygaster »

I didn't like Amelie very much, but if you're going to start comparing it to Garden State, then I'll defend it to the death.

jesselc
0 Ratings

Post by jesselc »

Trying to limit my list so I won't be including directors who are hit and miss, more just ones who I haven't liked any of their work.

Christopher Nolan - To be fair, I haven't seen Memento but I hated Inception and thought Dark Knight was nowhere near as good as it was made out to be. Man, did the second half of that just drag. His style does very little for me.

Wes Anderson - People tell me his movies are funny, I sit and wait for the funny parts to start but they never do so I assume he just isn't my cup of tea. I just find something flat out annoying about his style. There is a nerdy hipster smugness about the whole thing.

And I know it's dreadfully predictable to dislike Michael Bay, I wouldn't call it hate as such but I have fallen asleep multiple times whenever I have tried to watch one of his films. I have nothing against explosion movies.

Baz Lurmann - About the only director who I hate so much I struggle to find the words to express how I feel about him. He makes films that are the absolute opposite of what I want to watch.

DougCollins
14 Ratings

Post by DougCollins »

Ang Lee
Robert Altman
Paul Schrader
Kevin Smith
Uwe Bolle
Jonathan Demme
Blake Edwards
Woody Allen
James L. Brooks

I don't really hate them but there are very few movies I have actually seen by them that I have actually enjoyed.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Coen Brothers
Quentin Tarantino
Woody Allen

Michael Bay has some annoying habits in the cinematography and editing style but I generally find his films more enjoyable than the directors above.

SirStuckey
45 Ratings

Post by SirStuckey »

nauru wrote:Coen Brothers
Quentin Tarantino
Woody Allen

Michael Bay has some annoying habits in the cinematography and editing style but I generally find his films more enjoyable than the directors above.

Since you listed 2 of my favorite directors I'd like to give you a suggestion for each to hopefully sway you into not hating them. You haven't rated them so I am presuming you haven't seen them.

Coens - Raising Arizona - I think this is their most accessible movie and definitely there laugh out loud funniest.
Woody Allen - The Purple Rose of Cairo - He's definitely an acquired taste and I'm never surprised when people say they don't like him, but I always try to get people to watch this movie first before they make their complete decision on him. It's very different than a lot of his other films as he doesn't star in it and there isn't a character he wrote as himself that someone else is playing either. It's got a nice fantasy element, and is definitely a film that any movie lover can somewhat relate to.

cluster
0 Ratings

Post by cluster »

hate is too strong a word, and i tend to not remember directors and movies that i didn't like... one thing i hate is seeing movies that i think are bad being universally praised...

I think Cameron falls into that category, as Nolan ... and technically not a director, but i think that most Pixar movies are just.. average... and seeing the band wagoning they elicit (disregarding Cars2.. but it holds true for so-so movies like Up or Toy Story 3) just saddens me (also, seeing that many people stalking and insulting reviewers that don't give Pixar movies two thumbs up at each release, that's outrageous) ... now i liked Terminator, Memento was about ok and the first Toy Story was neat. But the universal praise and commercial success they elicit still now, that's just :roll:

Bandy
0 Ratings

Post by Bandy »

movieboy wrote:Woody Allen
Hannah and her sisters - T4
Annie Hall - T1

Watch Crimes & Misdemeanors, Manhattan and Zelig, and you may change your opinion of Woody. I'm not a fan of the two you've seen, either.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

cluster wrote:hate is too strong a word, and i tend to not remember directors and movies that i didn't like... one thing i hate is seeing movies that i think are bad being universally praised...

I think Cameron falls into that category, as Nolan ... and technically not a director, but i think that most Pixar movies are just.. average... and seeing the band wagoning they elicit (disregarding Cars2.. but it holds true for so-so movies like Up or Toy Story 3) just saddens me (also, seeing that many people stalking and insulting reviewers that don't give Pixar movies two thumbs up at each release, that's outrageous) ... now i liked Terminator, Memento was about ok and the first Toy Story was neat. But the universal praise and commercial success they elicit still now, that's just :roll:

This essentially sums up my feelings about the Coen Brothers, Woody Allen and QT. Not only do they receive far more praise universally than I feel they deserve, it seems as though it's actually become taboo to publicly disclose that you don't care for their work. Particularly in the case of the Coen Brothers, sometimes I wonder if most people who say they like the Coen Brothers actually like their stuff or whether they just feel they have little choice but to pretend they like it. It seems at times like some of the Coen fans defend these guys more zealously than the most devoted apple fanboys defend that company's gadgets.

Ununnilium
82 Ratings

Post by Ununnilium »

nauru wrote:
cluster wrote:I think Cameron falls into that category, as Nolan ... and technically not a director, but i think that most Pixar movies are just.. average... and seeing the band wagoning they elicit (disregarding Cars2.. but it holds true for so-so movies like Up or Toy Story 3) just saddens me (also, seeing that many people stalking and insulting reviewers that don't give Pixar movies two thumbs up at each release, that's outrageous) ... now i liked Terminator, Memento was about ok and the first Toy Story was neat. But the universal praise and commercial success they elicit still now, that's just :roll:

This essentially sums up my feelings about the Coen Brothers, Woody Allen and QT. Not only do they receive far more praise universally than I feel they deserve, it seems as though it's actually become taboo to publicly disclose that you don't care for their work. Particularly in the case of the Coen Brothers, sometimes I wonder if most people who say they like the Coen Brothers actually like their stuff or whether they just feel they have little choice but to pretend they like it. It seems at times like some of the Coen fans defend these guys more zealously than the most devoted apple fanboys defend that company's gadgets.

I don't see this as "bandwagoning" at all. People genuinely like them and think their stuff is good - and some fraction of those people are douchebags about it, as in any group. I mean, I think both Woody Allen and Quinten Tarantino are overrated, but I assume that the people who think they're geniuses are as sincere in their admiration as I am with Pixar and the Coens.

Bandy
0 Ratings

Post by Bandy »

nauru wrote:This essentially sums up my feelings about the Coen Brothers, Woody Allen and QT. Not only do they receive far more praise universally than I feel they deserve, it seems as though it's actually become taboo to publicly disclose that you don't care for their work. Particularly in the case of the Coen Brothers, sometimes I wonder if most people who say they like the Coen Brothers actually like their stuff or whether they just feel they have little choice but to pretend they like it. It seems at times like some of the Coen fans defend these guys more zealously than the most devoted apple fanboys defend that company's gadgets.

Yes, people are simply pretending to like them. It's definitely not that their films don't appeal to you for reasons that are completely beyond their ability to affect.