Criticker's Incorrect Release Dates

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
Pickpocket
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Criticker's Incorrect Release Dates

Post by Pickpocket »

Great collection, Void.

http://www.criticker.com/?fl&filter=e7655

MHritz716 has changed a lot of the years on criticker. It's incredibly annoying.

When I PM'd MHritz716 asking him why he does this he said "Sometimes films get released early in film festivals but I don't feel that really counts as far as the year it should be labeled as." Obviously, a horrible reason.

So how hard is it to change the years back and maybe block this guy from screwing with the actual dates?

chemical404
0 Ratings

Re: Criticker's Incorrect Release Dates

Post by chemical404 »

This is something we struggle with a lot. Criticker was originally conceived for the US market, and parts of the site that are centered on the US. For example, we consider "new releases" to be those currently in American theaters, and likewise "release dates" to be of the premieres in US theaters. DVD releases are based on when they come out in the USA, etc, etc.

This is awfully US-centric and a turn off to our (many) users not in the USA, and for that I'll apologize. The eventual fix is to separate original release from US release (and eventually, other countries as well). When they differ, both will be shown. It's another of the many, many enhancements we hope to get to soon.

Thanks for raising the question, I hope this is a good enough answer for now.

This is the answer by mpowell from over a year ago.

And yes, i'm incredibly annoyed by this too. for example i like to check my favorite of the year lists using filters in 'all your rankings' page, and often i find movies missing because they have different release date here then anywhere else.

Hopefully it will get some kind of fix sometime soon. For me that's the biggest and only drawback of criticker.

biblioklept
0 Ratings

Post by biblioklept »

I would just like to add that I too feel annoyed by this.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

chemical404 wrote:
This is something we struggle with a lot. Criticker was originally conceived for the US market, and parts of the site that are centered on the US. For example, we consider "new releases" to be those currently in American theaters, and likewise "release dates" to be of the premieres in US theaters. DVD releases are based on when they come out in the USA, etc, etc.

This is awfully US-centric and a turn off to our (many) users not in the USA, and for that I'll apologize. The eventual fix is to separate original release from US release (and eventually, other countries as well). When they differ, both will be shown. It's another of the many, many enhancements we hope to get to soon.

Thanks for raising the question, I hope this is a good enough answer for now.

This is the answer by mpowell from over a year ago.

And yes, i'm incredibly annoyed by this too. for example i like to check my favorite of the year lists using filters in 'all your rankings' page, and often i find movies missing because they have different release date here then anywhere else.

Hopefully it will get some kind of fix sometime soon. For me that's the biggest and only drawback of criticker.

Pretty noob response. I'm in the US and it bugs the shit out of me.

biblioklept
0 Ratings

Post by biblioklept »

Writing in this thread in demand for answers.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

It is extremely annoying! Especially when I do Top Movie of the Year lists and I check my Criticker ratings to compile the lists and I have to try and remember which movies have the wrong year attached and then go and check IMDb to see if it did have the wrong year attached! It is the only thing on Criticker that needs to be fixed.

joseywales
0 Ratings

Post by joseywales »

At least you got a reply from MrHitz, I've messaged him twice about this and have gotten no reply whatsoever. What a dink.

iceblox
0 Ratings

Post by iceblox »

Why is that idiot allowed to do this in the first place?

Filligan
204 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

Hold on. You all want Crash to be listed as released in 2004? It won Best Picture in 2006 :|

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Filligan wrote:Hold on. You all want Crash to be listed as released in 2004? It won Best Picture in 2006 :|

Just another reason why Brokeback should've won.