A Full-Width Layout for Criticker, and More!

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
frederic_g54
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: A Full-Width Layout for Criticker, and More!

Post by frederic_g54 »

mpowell wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:51 am
frederic_g54 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:34 am
Our own review doesn't appear when browsing a movie page, you can only read it when clicking on the 'Edit' button.
Seems a bit weird IMO, any way of changing this?
Thanks!
Could you confirm whether it appears at the top of the Ratings List? This was the intention... that your review would appear atop the reviews of others.

That said, we do plan on changing this, so that your review appears more prominently toward the top of the page. But I'd like to know if it's at least working the way we meant it to.
https://imgur.com/a/L86g5TY

Nope, nothing appears.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

djross wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:02 am
Database loads 60 films per page in three columns, 20 per column. But currently, it lists 21 films in the first column, 21 in the second column and 18 in the third column.
Although unable to replicate this, we got some additional information on the problem and believe it should be fixed now. Can you check it out again, and let us know? We can't be certain that it's fixed, since we haven't been able to reproduce it.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Ramy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:36 pm
Bug 6: Percentiles 75+ used to be dark green, but they are light green for percentiles 75 to 80(?) for all users.
Thanks for catching that! You're very right, and we've found and corrected the discrepancy. Let us know if it still looks off for you!

Skavau
0 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

https://i.imgur.com/rSvRnGR.png

When making new collections, this just hangs. It still makes the list, but you don't get redirected like you used to.

begoniabol
2 Ratings

Post by begoniabol »

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of this new layout. I find that there are too many open spaces which makes it disorienting. I preferred, for example the Criticker main page, that everything was in one box, with a smaller font. It was much clearer and easier on the eyes. I only use Criticker on my browser, maybe that's why I don't like it.

Is there a way to convert back to the previous version or is that not an option?
Thank you in advance.

I do appreciate the time and effort you've spent on designing, and that a lot of people like it. If there's no way to convert back, I'll still be using your site! I still love the concept <3.

glifosfato
0 Ratings

Post by glifosfato »

A bizarre, baffling change that obviously has left most users dismayed. Criticker will never be able to compete directly with the juggernaut that is Letterboxd, and there is no point in even trying. Better to keep your old, loyal users happy with a tried and true layout that was universally liked than pulling the rug from under them to attempt to lure in users from Letterboxd. The change is more likely to have an effect in the opposite direction, with users looking to migrate elsewhere, given the unpopularity of this layout, as seen in the replies in this thread. While I understand it has taken time and effort to create, I, for one, find the new layout ugly, impractical and a complete downgrade in every way when compared to the old one. Given that, unless we get something similar to the previous layout soon, I'll be considering switching to a different platform for storing my reviews.

bof
0 Ratings

Post by bof »

When I look at the new design in 75-80% zoom it looks a lot better - more focused on the actual content, even if the huge ad space taking up most of the title page for a movie is still bizarre - but of course then the text becomes punishingly small. Is there any way you could allow users to set a font size in their settings? Because then the new layout may actually be usable. If not, just give us the option to revert back to the old layout, please. I'd love to keep using the site, but giving us a nigh-unreadable layout doesn't really put you ahead of Letterboxd.
Last edited by bof on Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Is it just me, or have the movie posters taken a downgrade in quality? They all seem to look pixelated and/or compressed or something.

I'm not 100% sure it wasn't like this before. Maybe I just never noticed it.

MacSwell
0 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Cannot star reviews currently on Recent Kumpel Activity, plus getting ads on the forum again

geohawk
165 Ratings

Post by geohawk »

mpowell wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:36 am
djross wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:02 am
Database loads 60 films per page in three columns, 20 per column. But currently, it lists 21 films in the first column, 21 in the second column and 18 in the third column.
Although unable to replicate this, we got some additional information on the problem and believe it should be fixed now. Can you check it out again, and let us know? We can't be certain that it's fixed, since we haven't been able to reproduce it.
Looks good to me so far.