Guess the movie from the image

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
bowfinger
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Guess the movie from the image

Post by bowfinger »

First off, how the hell does ED has less than 1K ratings? I watched it the day it came out on VHS, and it's been 20 years since it's release, and I'm sure they've shown it on TV like a gazillon times since then.

Secondly, Dunbar, you do your thang mate, I'm lovin' it.

Finally, I put my sleuthing hat on for this, because a 1K-less clue deserves that respect, and I'm throwing Double Team out there.

philamental
55 Ratings

Post by philamental »

dunbar wrote:Sorry if that came across as harsher on your picture selection than it was meant to.

I like lurking in this thread, but I don't get far with any of the pictures, which says more about me than the players.

No offence seen or taken, fella so nothing to worry about. I thought your original comment was spot on and fair!

rklenseth wrote:Well, that is the Pyramid of Cestius in the background. So perhaps the movie takes place in Rome if that helps anyone. It doesn't help me.

Well spotted, sir. I didn't recognise the landmark myself, but I can confirm that a number of scenes including the climax take place in Rome. This one doesn't ...

LITERALLY just about to post this and I can see that bercutio has already nailed it with 'Double Team'. Nicely done! What angle did you use to work it out, out of interest?

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

philamental wrote:LITERALLY just about to post this and I can see that bercutio has already nailed it with 'Double Team'. Nicely done! What angle did you use to work it out, out of interest?

I went for the oldest trick in the book, and it's much easier than you'd think, just don't post a shot from your most recent rankings ;) In this case, because of the year you mentioned, DT had no competition. And when the clue rklenseth gave checked out...

Coming up with the next clue soon.

philamental
55 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Good work, but I have to admit I f***ed up by trying to be too clever. I actually rated the film over a year ago which would have made it harder to spot, however after brickwall said he checked my ratings for 90s films I panicked and considered deleting my rating until the round had finished. In the end I decided to leave it there but during the consideration I noticed my mini review was really poor (probably composed while drunk) so I deleted it. This had the unexpected impact of deleting the rating as well. I didn't think, and just re-entered the same rating as before which stamped my rating as yesterday :oops:

Lesson learned ... don't try to outwit the criticker community or you'll end up with egg on your face! ;)

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

You had me laughing out loud, man. Funny thing is, I was thinking about a JCVD flick to ask just yesterday, thinking how that was never asked, and now that you have done this, I can't post that movie. But more importantly, I'm pretty strict about my 1K obsession, and I see that the mov I had in mind has even less rankings (which again doesn't make any sense to me), so, I'm gonna have to wait around a decade for that to reach 1K. So, here is something completely different:

philamental
55 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Fair play for sticking to your 1k principles. However as you've seen, many 'popular' films from the past just haven't been rated by the masses on here, so that's why I think people should post whatever they want and nurse the players with extra clues if necessary. I mean when you said Executive Decision has less than 1000 ratings on here I was blown away like I had been sucked out of airplane unexpectedly near the start of a film *ahem* ;)

As for the new image, I don't recognise it but the actor reminds me a lot of Dane De Haan. I don't know a lot of his films but 'Kill Your Darlings' (2013) is on my to watch list and I know that's set in the mid 20th century which would seemingly fit the visual aesthetic shown above so that's my guess.

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

philamental wrote:Fair play for sticking to your 1k principles. However as you've seen, many 'popular' films from the past just haven't been rated by the masses on here, so that's why I think people should post whatever they want and nurse the players with extra clues if necessary. I mean when you said Executive Decision has less than 1000 ratings on here I was blown away like I had been sucked out of airplane unexpectedly near the start of a film *ahem* ;)

I know, right?

As for 1K, I have advocated this principle so many times in the forum, and with so many films to choose from, I really don't want to retract from it, not even for JCVD. Fun fact: I did wait over a year to be able to post a particular shot from Rush.

And your guess, all I can say for the time being is, it is incorrect.
Last edited by bowfinger on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacSwell
0 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Shutter Island?

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Maaxwell wrote:Shutter Island?