Guess the movie from the image

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
55 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Guess the movie from the image

Post by philamental »

Try this one ...

Detox
0 Ratings

Post by Detox »

Highlander!

philamental
55 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Ha ha, that didn't last long!

Over to you, Detox

Detox
0 Ratings

Post by Detox »

Detox
0 Ratings

Post by Detox »

philamental
55 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Hi Detox. If you're around, just some friendly feedback. One of the things that seems to irritate most people who play this game is when someone's turn slows it down unnecessarily. Usually this is caused by too much time passing between posting images, or posting images from more obscure films that few have seen. While 48 hrs since the last image isn't the worst ever delay, having google searched your images this morning I would consider the film to be in the 'obscure' bracket based on it's country of origin and the fact it only has 248 rankings on here despite it's age. In my opinion if you are going to select a film like that you will need to spoon feed us a little more with additional textual clues as well as making sure the clues are more frequent than 48 hrs, otherwise the chances of someone guessing correctly is very low which will slow the game down unnecessarily.

Detox
0 Ratings

Post by Detox »

To be honest, I don't know how to look up how many rankings a film has got overall. I chose it out of my Full Rankings List and set the popularity-parameter to "Well-Known". I'm sorry for the delay. Here's another one.

EDIT: I'm stupid. I just discovered where you can see how often a film is ranked. More clues: The movie is the second part of a trilogy, the director has won several awards and was also nominated for an Academy Award.

philamental
55 Ratings

Post by philamental »

I was just replying to tell you how to see the number of rankings, but I've seen you found it now. Just in case there are any others who aren't sure and are interested, here's where to find it ....

If you go to the profile page for the film, at the very bottom of the rankings section on the right it will tell you the AVG tier from the total number rankings submitted by criticker users.

That's an all time number of rankings, so keep in mind some users may no longer be active on criticker if the film isn't recent. Then you have to consider how many of those who have ranked the film and are still active are also viewing this thread currently? There's probably a very small subset for the film you selected so there's a high chance we'll need some help to identify it.

The film itself seems to be notable enough in it's own cinema circles, so I can see why it might be deemed 'well-known' and why you selected it.
Last edited by philamental on Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

Btw, philamental, thanks for offering up to put effort in making a scoreboard, but for me it isn't worth your effort. It would likely add some more fun to the game, but I'm for achieving this in a different way. Right now most post images and you either recognize the film it is from or not, which can be a bit boring if there is a streak of such posts. Another problem is simply that only a about a dozen people play. Maybe if we focus on more puzzle-type hints alongside images or by using images themselves we could draw in more users? I'll try to make such a post next time to show what I mean. Let me know then what you thought of it.

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Well I kind of knew it was an Aki Kaurismaki film from the first image, but not sure which one. Seeing that last image of Matti Pellonpää confirms it is one of Kaurismaki's films, so I'd say it's either Ariel, or Shadows in Paradise.

Let's go with Ariel.

*Edit - I just noticed you said it's the second part of a trilogy, so it's definitely Ariel, as Shadows In Paradise is the first part of Kaurismaki's 'Proletariat' trilogy.