Anyone else avoid actor interviews like the plague?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Pickpocket
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Anyone else avoid actor interviews like the plague?

Post by Pickpocket »

Nope. Love most things film related.

Spanks
0 Ratings

Post by Spanks »

ShogunRua wrote:Not bad. I wasn't as impressed with that video as you are (Daniel Day-Lewis comes across as a man of good speaking ability and average intelligence who is really passionate and knows a lot about film/acting), but Daniel Day-Lewis is no idiot, and I would agree there is something inside of him.

That being said, I don't think Daniel Day-Lewis is typical of most actors....in any regard.

I would have to agree that he isn't typical in any regard, and I can definitely see how people don't appreciate him as much as I do. I probably praised him a little too much when I said he may be the best artist today, but as far acting goes I'm not sure anyone can match him. Sure there are some excellent actors out there such as Sean Penn, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ed Norton and Christian Bale, but around 80% of the time I would choose to watch Day-Lewis over any of them.

And this is the most obvious statement of the thread, but it all goes back to film in its entirety. Intelligent actors star in great films, and idiots star in movies like "Kazaam".

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

sixx wrote:
And this is the most obvious statement of the thread, but it all goes back to film in its entirety. Intelligent actors star in great films, and idiots star in movies like "Kazaam".

See, I wouldn't say that. Is Francis Ford Coppola an idiot because he did "Jack"? Is Orson Welles a moron for doing animated voice-overs in some crappy films, like the animated Transformers movie?

One of the most intelligent actors I've seen interviews with is Robert Englund, the guy who plays Freddy Krueger. He plays in lots of horrible pictures.

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Actors are the MOST INTERESTING PEOPLE ON EARTH, mostly because they are multiple people. Take this Kevin Spacey interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKDKAKNH-k

Also, if anyone dares insult Kazaam again I will have to bust a cap in someone's ass. Kazaam is the best movie ever made.

sebby
0 Ratings

Post by sebby »

I ran into the same problem when I first started to notice the way the camera moves (around the time I was in high school). It took me out of the world in which the film exists. However, I got over it. Yes, it's a piece of fiction, but so is virtually all art. There's nothing wrong with realizing that there are contributors and a process to making a film, even when you're watching it.

by Devol
0 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

Vincent Gallo and Tommy Wiseau unavailable for comment.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Not really, but it's not like I look forward to them or anything. I just see something like "New Exclusive Interview with Jeff Bridges" and I'm just like "ok" and 99% of the time won't ever care. I remember one interview with Christian Bale that ended with him singing the Powerpuff Girls theme, that was worth it.

Avoid them completely if it's about politics.

Spanks
0 Ratings

Post by Spanks »

ShogunRua wrote:
sixx wrote:

See, I wouldn't say that. Is Francis Ford Coppola an idiot because he did "Jack"? Is Orson Welles a moron for doing animated voice-overs in some crappy films, like the animated Transformers movie?

One of the most intelligent actors I've seen interviews with is Robert Englund, the guy who plays Freddy Krueger. He plays in lots of horrible pictures.

I would call Coppoa's "Jack" and Orson Welles doing voice-overs in "Transformers" to be more duds that anything else. It's obvious these two are pioneers within film, but not everyone is perfect. The actors I was more referring to are the likes of Tyrese Gibson, Rob Schneider, Channing Tatum, or Kevin Smith (I know I'm not going out on a limb with these guys).

Maybe it all goes back to that thread where we discussed directors who have become lackadaisical and more likely are in it for the money than anything else (Michael Bay, George Lucas, Tim Burton). An actor may have an IQ of 150+, pass the MCATs with a 35 out of 36, and have a perfect GPA from Harvard but does it really show when they star in terrible films, raking in a few million per year?

Or maybe that route is pretty smart.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Replicant wrote: I remember one interview with Christian Bale that ended with him singing the Powerpuff Girls theme, that was worth it.

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

sixx wrote: An actor may have an IQ of 150+, pass the MCATs with a 35 out of 36, and have a perfect GPA from Harvard but does it really show when they star in terrible films, raking in a few million per year?

I think Dolph Lundgren has a master's degree in chemical engineering and once his house was broken into and when the robbers realized it was Dolph Lundgren's house they left without taking anything because he also is something like a third degree black belt.