Industrialization movies set in America

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Spunkie
196 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Industrialization movies set in America

Post by Spunkie »

I am looking for some movies set near the end of 19th century America when the grip of industrialization sets in. The most obvious example is Gangs of Newyork. I managed to round up Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Maverick, Once Upon a Time in the West as other possible references. The main point is I am not interested in the movies itself, but their soundtracks, similar themes of the era. Appreciate the help.

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Re: Industrialization movies set in America

Post by mattorama12 »

I don't have any good suggestions for you at the moment. But, since you mentioned Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in the same breath as music/soundtracks, I'd like to submit the Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head bicycle scene as the #1 worst scene in an otherwise great movie.

I guess I could throw in Back to the Future Part III? Not sure if it would serve your purposes, but it does technically fit the stated criteria.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Spunkie wrote:I am looking for some movies set near the end of 19th century America when the grip of industrialization sets in. The most obvious example is Gangs of Newyork. I managed to round up Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Maverick, Once Upon a Time in the West as other possible references. The main point is I am not interested in the movies itself, but their soundtracks, similar themes of the era. Appreciate the help.

I'm not sure what you're looking for. I mean, "grip of industrialization", mainly the soundtracks, similar themes (of what, industrialization, music, turn of the century, or...?) The Harvey Girls qualifies, but I suspect it isn't what you're really looking for.

Spunkie
196 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Stewball wrote:
Spunkie wrote:I am looking for some movies set near the end of 19th century America when the grip of industrialization sets in. The most obvious example is Gangs of Newyork. I managed to round up Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Maverick, Once Upon a Time in the West as other possible references. The main point is I am not interested in the movies itself, but their soundtracks, similar themes of the era. Appreciate the help.

I'm not sure what you're looking for. I mean, "grip of industrialization", mainly the soundtracks, similar themes (of what, industrialization, music, turn of the century, or...?) The Harvey Girls qualifies, but I suspect it isn't what you're really looking for.

I'm looking for music of the era, or representation of music of the era in movies and not revisional injections like raindrops from Butch. From a sneak peek to Harvey Girls this has bits of what I'm looking for embedded into a typical musical score, so it serves the purpose, thanks.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

There's three I can think of: There Will Be Blood, but the music is basically classical. Then there's The Music Man which is cram full of "turn-of-the-centuryisms on screen, in the dialogue and the music. And Paint Your Wagon. And there's a wealth of music in westerns set in that era.

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Not actually a movie but a tv show I watched recently: Hell on Wheels. It's about building trains...and racism and stuff. Not perfect, but if you enjoy the setting and can get into the characters its a pretty fun ride. I have only seen the first season though so if the second season blows don't blame my recommendation.

KGB
0 Ratings

Post by KGB »

Maybe Wenders' Soul of a Man.

Just1n
0 Ratings

Post by Just1n »

I heard about a tv series called Hell on Wheels. About the race to get the 1st railroad across USA.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1699748/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1