Review a Favorite Horror Comedy

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Review a Favorite Horror Comedy

Post by ShogunRua »

In the interests of creating more topics with substantive posts instead of banal lists of names/numbers/movies, here is one;

Focus- Review a horror comedy that you really enjoy. (Or even more than one) Preferably, a lesser-known film, so more people can hear about and check it out.

For my part, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Vampire (1985);

"A truly unique kung-fu comedy. Its presentation of the occult is infused with lots of Chinese mythology; there are hopping vampires warded off with written charms, a pale female beauty whose head flies off her body and attacks, and other oddities. The protagonists battle these monsters with the power of kung-fu, and it's hilarious and awesome. But even ignoring the fights, this is a damn funny film; the student mistakenly believing the young lady is a whore is absolute comedy gold. Great movie."

Stewball
0 Ratings

Re: Review a Favorite Horror Comedy

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:In the interests of creating more topics with substantive posts instead of banal lists of names/numbers/movies, here is one;

Focus- Review a horror comedy that you really enjoy. (Or even more than one) Preferably, a lesser-known film, so more people can hear about and check it out.

"A truly unique kung-fu comedy. Its presentation of the occult is infused with lots of Chinese mythology; there are hopping vampires warded off with written charms, a pale female beauty whose head flies off her body and attacks, and other oddities. The protagonists battle these monsters with the power of kung-fu, and it's hilarious and awesome. But even ignoring the fights, this is a damn funny film; the student mistakenly believing the young lady is a whore is absolute comedy gold. Great movie."

OK, so I give you 10 points for trying to break the lock of the lists threads, but then take 'em back for trying to do it with horror. Horror is so prevalent now for two reasons: It's cheap as hell to produce, and it appeals to the LCDs.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:In the interests of creating more topics with substantive posts instead of banal lists of names/numbers/movies, here is one;

OK, so I give you 10 points for trying to break the lock of the lists threads, but then take 'em back for trying to do it with horror. Horror is so prevalent now for two reasons: It's cheap as hell to produce, and it appeals to the LCDs.

Which is why I made the thread about horror comedies, a very different genre. (much like how rocoms are very different from straight romance).

Anyways Stewie, you're better than making such stupid off-topic posts. Contribute to the focus or don't post, but enough pontificating.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Yes.

Paxton
0 Ratings

Post by Paxton »

I'm going to bite. Club Dread is my dream movie. It was totally lost on the Super Troopers fans who expected... I don't know what. It sends up horror tropes perfectly but never reverts to being a straight parody of anything. It is genuinely funny. It is clever. Every actor seems intent on stealing every scene.
Great, great horror comedy.

woody130496
0 Ratings

Post by woody130496 »

i loved A Chinese Ghost Story i'm not to familiar with Chinese cinema but in my opinion this was a high point of Hong Kong cinema and the film is a feast for the eyes with the beautiful sets, flowing robes and flying ghosts as for the story it mixes all of the most terrifying, exciting, and atmospheric parts of Hong Kong fantasy film making to make one of the greatest unknown classics of the horror genre.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Mr.Ssang wrote:i loved A Chinese Ghost Story

Around the time I watched Mr. Vampire about 11-12 years ago, I was aware of A Chinese Ghost Story, but never got a chance to see it. Turns out it's on Cinemageddon, as well as the sequel. Should check it out, finally.

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Not necessarily my all time favorite, but the first horror comedy I ever saw was Young Frankenstein. Like most other Brooks comedies they completely blow past plot and filler to take a swing at as many jokes as possible. Not only that, but it tries lots of different kinds of jokes. Any "style" of comedy you can name is in this film from high brow wit to just silly physical comedy. Gene Wilder pulls it all together with a great performance as Victor Frankenstein and Peter Boyle as the monster was great. I know I'm not breaking new ground by bringing this up, but somebody had to because it's just so damn good.

Toxic Fletch
0 Ratings

Post by Toxic Fletch »

Just a few days ago I posted a review on my blog of a low budget horror comedy called Fear Town, USA. It's actually available on Youtube to watch for free if anybody wants to watch it. This is an abbreviated version of my review; and if it doesn't come through from my review, I enjoyed it very much.

Fear Town, USA (2014)

It seems everybody in town has been invited to the St. Blevins Day party in honor of a rather weird local holiday. That is except for a group of geeks, stoners, and a few others who have no idea of the trouble they are headed for. A masked killer, a ghost, and guys in black robes show up to add to the festivities and make it the party of the year, for anybody who survives that is.

After watching Fear Town, USA and looking online for more information, I was surprised to find it was made for only $10,000 by a group of film school students. It is a very funny movie with a lot going on. At about 90 minutes it does not drag. Some seams of the low budget show through, but I was too busy laughing to really notice. A warning up front is this has a bizarre ending that may offend. Heck, some of the humor throughout the movie might offend the easily offended.

Aside from Fear Town, USA, one of my favorite horror comedies is Return of the Living Dead, though I think it unlikely anybody here has not heard of it.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Toxic Fletch wrote:Just a few days ago I posted a review on my blog of a low budget horror comedy called Fear Town, USA. It's actually available on Youtube to watch for free if anybody wants to watch it. This is an abbreviated version of my review; and if it doesn't come through from my review, I enjoyed it very much.

Fear Town, USA (2014)

It seems everybody in town has been invited to the St. Blevins Day party in honor of a rather weird local holiday. That is except for a group of geeks, stoners, and a few others who have no idea of the trouble they are headed for. A masked killer, a ghost, and guys in black robes show up to add to the festivities and make it the party of the year, for anybody who survives that is.

After watching Fear Town, USA and looking online for more information, I was surprised to find it was made for only $10,000 by a group of film school students. It is a very funny movie with a lot going on. At about 90 minutes it does not drag. Some seams of the low budget show through, but I was too busy laughing to really notice. A warning up front is this has a bizarre ending that may offend. Heck, some of the humor throughout the movie might offend the easily offended.

Aside from Fear Town, USA, one of my favorite horror comedies is Return of the Living Dead, though I think it unlikely anybody here has not heard of it.

Sounds interesting. Since you mention it's available in its entirety on Youtube, I will give it a watch. Also, anyone using "I'm offended" as a reason for disliking a movie isn't worth considering, anyways.